Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I am stepping forward and starting a few database websites but i need to map out my 5 yr plan. I have already purchased all the domain names and have the designs ready. However i am in the market for hosting. I have ran across iPage and heard great reviews but i do not know anyone personally that has used this. I am of course looking for as much, database, gb, bandwidth and secure script for the eCommerce side. Advise would be great.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I use [COLOR=rgb(32, 117, 183)]Hostmonster[/COLOR] and love 'em - super support and one-click SimpleScripts installation - you can host as many domains as you want either as add-ons or as subs-domains. The multiple domains are unlimited (in theory - I haven't pushed it too far), I've got about 7 actual working sites on one account there right now, and several subdomains in testing phase - I've got a total of 23 databases (some WordPress, some Joomla, some custom) to play with at the moment. Their rates are reasonable and their Customer Service and Technical Service to be excellent, the best I've ever encountered, in fact.

I know there are others on these forums who have definite preferences - take a look a past postings and you will get some names and links. I suggest you take a look at several hosts, call them up on their toll-free lines, ask questions, and make a decision based on how well they meet your needs.

Just beware of the online hosting comparison sites - they are often skewed towards the hosts that advertise with them, and with the number of affiliate posters plugging hosting companies these days, it's next to impossible to find intelligent, unbiased reviews on a host review site. If you do decide to check out a review site, don't just take the review at face value - check the context it's written in, how biased the reviewer seems, and how much advertising they have on the site.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Amen to the host review sites. They're one of the few site types that have actually devolved in the past 10 years to regurgitated shill babbling about how great Host X is when Host X is a steaming pile of monkey crap.

iPage: heard of them before. My father-in-law used them and then switched hosts, although I don't recall the reason, and he's a non-techie so it might not have been all that relevant to what you're doing. He was pretty pissed, though.

I'd recommend the people I've been with for over 9 years...Sectorlink. I don't see it listed on their site, but I think they still offer a shared SSL for their shared hosting plans if you ask (which is what I'm assuming you meant by "secure script"). Don't hold me to that, though...I'm on a dedicated box with them.

Now, if you need multiple dedicated SSLs, you're probably looking at more of a virtual dedicated or reseller account, but that depends on what you're doing.

They handle both Access and SQL Server and MySQL on their shared side. So that's your database.

The support team actually can solve problems that are of a non-standard nature. And if there's one thing that should be obvious from the posts I make on here, it's that I don't think the way anyone else does, so I'm bound to ask some pretty out-there support questions. I'd say about 80% of hosts fail within the first two or three support requests I make. Sectorlink has always solved the problems I've had. They haven't always understood them the first time, but that's not on them...that's on me for not necessarily explaining myself clearly. And in the end, they figured out what I meant and solved it. They're also the only company I've ever seen that has solved a support ticket issue in 60 seconds...I sent in the support request and exactly a minute later it was done. I've never had that happen before or since.

Oh yeah, and when you're looking for actual host reviews and info...see who actually reads your post and attempts to answer it in their own words. It's a lot harder to post canned advice that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Oh yeah, and when you're looking for actual host reviews and info...see who actually reads your post and attempts to answer it in their own words. It's a lot harder to post canned advice that way.
    Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but I've had a really awful day, so if that dig about canned advice was aimed at me, I freely admit that the first part of my previous post was almost word for word what I have posted before on this topic - it was true then and is still. I am not affiliated in any way with Hostmonster, except that I use their services and am completely satisfied with them.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sorry...it wasn't a dig at you, AlphaMare. It was a dig at the hosting sites full of that crappy canned advice that you find on a typical host review site.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yeah - I hoped not - just having a crap day - in my family we call this "being a Chemist", where everything you touch seems to turn into a pile of s***.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    thanks guys. just curious but how would you run a site you want access with login to a folder for your clients to drop files through the site? would you rent a server or just use the bandwidth and setup a server at your shop?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd just use whatever was supplied by the hosting plan myself. Why set up a second server when you don't have to?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I actually do this quite a lot - I just set up a folder named for the client on my host (e.g. public_html/johnsmith ) create a specific FTP account for it with the host, with a username and password for the client. That way they can ONLY access that one folder.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 201430
    I actually do this quite a lot - I just set up a folder named for the client on my host (e.g. public_html/johnsmith ) create a specific FTP account for it with the host, with a username and password for the client. That way they can ONLY access that one folder.
    so i assume you do this with a hosting site that allows FTP?? also is there a limit to the amount of FTPs?? Do you rent a server??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads