Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switching Hosts

Member #
    I am leaving my current hosting company after 5 years due to increased prices and recently the customer support has been nonexistent.

I have already found a new host and gotten everything set up, my questions are:

1) How easy is it to switch over wordpress sites? I currently have 3 different wordpress sites, do I just zip up the wordpress directory and move it over? Do the databases matter at all?

2) I have my email set up through google apps for your domain, how hard is it to change that over to a new domain?

If you could help me with any of this that would be great! Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It is very easy to change hosts, all you have to do is take all your files you already have and upload them to the new site in the exact same way you did it the first time.

As for email once the domain is transfered over you will prob have to recreate it since it wont be in your new hosts email servers but than after that is done should work just like it always has because the old one wont exist anymore and the new mail will just point to the same name.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sault Web Design, post: 202656
    It is very easy to change hosts, all you have to do is take all your files you already have and upload them to the new site in the exact same way you did it the first time.

As for email once the domain is transfered over you will prob have to recreate it since it wont be in your new hosts email servers but than after that is done should work just like it always has because the old one wont exist anymore and the new mail will just point to the same name.
    It is NOT that easy!

Databases will have to be created for the new WP sites - if you transfer all your files and they do not have a db to reference, all you will get is error messages!

Go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress and you will see they have clear instructions on how to back up your database(s) and migrate the site to a new host.

You will also want to get in touch with tech support at your new host and ask them what help they can offer you. I believe some hosts do offer an automated migration, but they may charge you for it.
    Cyvre likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    you dont have to create new databases you can copy the existing ones and just make sure the pathways are the same since you are using the same domain name if you were changing it to something new you would run into more problems

if you set it up the first time you should be able to move it very easilly if you did not set it up you will have more difficulty

The link mare gave is very detailed you should have no problem I was about to link the same one acctually

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sault Web Design, post: 202707
    you dont have to create new databases you can copy the existing ones and just make sure the pathways are the same since you are using the same domain name if you were changing it to something new you would run into more problems

if you set it up the first time you should be able to move it very easilly if you did not set it up you will have more difficulty

The link mare gave is very detailed you should have no problem I was about to link the same one acctually
    If you are moving the site from one host to a new one, you absolutely DO HAVE TO create new databases, with the same names etc. The old host will delete your db's as soon as you cancel your account!

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 202839
    If you are moving the site from one host to a new one, you absolutely DO HAVE TO create new databases, with the same names etc. The old host will delete your db's as soon as you cancel your account!
    I am not doubting they will delete your databases which is why you COPY them before you move on. In which case you DO NOT need to create a new database you plug the COPY of the old one into the new host, If I copy an html file and put it on a new server I did not have to create a new one from scratch I simply moved it to the new host. If this was the case how could we ever back anything up if we constantly had to create new files.

I dont know if by make new ones you mean that you consider copies to be completley new databases in which case its just a wording issue and we are argueing the same point. But you most certainly do not need to start from scratch on your databases just because you move hosts.

The only times you would need to make NEW databases is if you were going to host the same database information on multiple servers so it would point to the appropriate one, or if you were changing domain names.

This is the base principle of BACKING UP YOUR WORK so that you do not have to start over.

The way you are saying it as soon as he decided to move on they wiped all his files does he have to create a new website too because he is going to a new host NO. He is going to place COPIES of his files just like the databases.

If you dont agree with me than I dont know why you gave him the link you did because here is the EXACT PROCEDURE FROM YOUR OWN LINK SAYING IT EXACTLY THE WAY I AM.

Moving WordPress to a New Server

If you are moving WordPress from one server to another, BEGIN BY BACKING UP YOUR DATA. This includes backing up your WordPress database as well as all the core files, images, plugins, and other files on your site. See WordPress Backups and Backing Up Your Database for more details.
    • Note: If you are changing to a new server but same domain, all you need to do is edit wp-config.php and UPLOAD EVERYTHING AS IT IS TO YOUR NEW SERVER. ?

I appolagize in advance for the bold and the caps, I do not normally ever reply in a rude or harsh manner but it seems the way you chose to reply to me and while I am completley open to suggestion and criticism, I do not appreciate condescending replies esspecially when my answer is correct. At best we are argueing the exact same point our wording is simply different.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I certainly did not mean to be condescending or rude. I just wanted to keep Hungry Pirate from taking an action that might result in a disaster for him. I guess I did not understand that by "copy" you really meant "backup".

It has been my experience that you have to have a database to install the backup into - what I should have said was that there are some steps to take when moving a database from one host to another.

On the new host, you have to create an empty database with the same name as the old one, then you install your backup in that database, and that will create the tables etc, exactly as it was on the old host. You do not have to "start from scratch" and re-create the contents of the database, but if the database does not exist you cannot install the backup.

Again, my apologies if you thought I was rude - certainly not my intention.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I started reading this thread and thought the same thing....

taken literally... copy all your files and upload them and your done... to someone that didn't understand it... would have been a disaster... if done that way...

Not to poke any eyes here... but I've been doing "this stuff" for many years... and still occasionally catch myself correcting other peoples terminology... funny thing is.... in this industry... the "wording" is what I look at as a hiring manager... if someone in this industry doesn't want to use the correct terminology or care to learn it... then how do I know they even know what they are talking about.

From other forums that I have been a part of over the years... The main thing that I learned was that although someone post a question... many others will learn something from what replies there are. If we are here to participate and assist others, then leaving comments like:

" It is very easy to change hosts, all you have to do is take all your files you already have and upload them to the new site in the exact same way you did it the first time."
    un-challenged and un-defined, could lead to disaster to those that may read it literally.

BTW.... when you create a BACKUP of a MySQL DB... it has the "If table does not exist Create Table" in the backup SQL file... so it will create a new table as long as permissions are correct if you have console access or the web client is setup properly, That being said, I have run into Web based MySQL clients that ignore the "create table", so you have to create the table first and then load the backup.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 204676
    I started reading this thread and thought the same thing....

taken literally... copy all your files and upload them and your done... to someone that didn't understand it... would have been a disaster... if done that way...

Not to poke any eyes here... but I've been doing "this stuff" for many years... and still occasionally catch myself correcting other peoples terminology... funny thing is.... in this industry... the "wording" is what I look at as a hiring manager... if someone in this industry doesn't want to use the correct terminology or care to learn it... then how do I know they even know what they are talking about.

From other forums that I have been a part of over the years... The main thing that I learned was that although someone post a question... many others will learn something from what replies there are. If we are here to participate and assist others, then leaving comments like:

" It is very easy to change hosts, all you have to do is take all your files you already have and upload them to the new site in the exact same way you did it the first time."
    un-challenged and un-defined, could lead to disaster to those that may read it literally.

BTW.... when you create a BACKUP of a MySQL DB... it has the "If table does not exist Create Table" in the backup SQL file... so it will create a new table as long as permissions are correct if you have console access or the web client is setup properly, That being said, I have run into Web based MySQL clients that ignore the "create table", so you have to create the table first and then load the backup.

Thanks for this. You clearly stated what I was trying to say and added to it - I was unaware of the "If table does not exist Create Table" because I've only done this on one host and it has not been an issue.

My sole reason for posting as I did was to save the OP from a potential disaster. I'd love to know what the final outcome was!

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    We have a classic case of, there are two sides to every story. Two people corresponding on the web, without knowing each other or their experience level, throw in the words "over simplifying" and you are in for some misunderstandings.

I really do not think anyone is wrong here! LOL
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads