Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DKIM reflector

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a DKIM reflector that I could use to test the Domain Keys that I'm installing on my server for the very first time?

Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Close, but I ended up finding it.

http://www.brandonchecketts.com/emailtest.php

This guy's actually written a whole badass thing to check domain keys, SPF records and spam filters. You email the random address it generates and then click the "View Results" button and you get a report with more information than you'll ever need to deal with. Cool tool.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Pretty nifty - I tried it and now am trying to decipher the results!

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Post the results link. Maybe I can figure some of it out, although my knowledge of this consists of "know as little as I absolutely have to because Sectorlink engineers will know the rest or at least figure out the parts I can't."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Seems I have no Domain Keys - not surprising since your post was the first i have heard of them. Are they similar to private keys for encryption?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not really, from what I understand.

http://www.dkim.org/

From what I can gather, they're a way for a company to add a text record into the DNS for a domain with a crytographic key and selector (which seems to be how the key is decrypted). In most cases, there's one selector for each domain, but if you want, you can specify selectors by individual. The recipient attempts to look up the originating record at (selector)._domainkey.(domain name) to figure ouf if the domain key is legit. If it is, then the email was legitimately sent from that domain. If not, then as far as I can tell it gets rejected.

So for my practical intents and purposes, it's a way to get certain mail servers (HELLO, USELESS BASTARDS OVER AT YAHOO!) to recognize legitimate emails and let them through. It's basically the reason I upgraded my mail server yesterday.

And yeah, you're right. You do have no domain keys. A mail server that supports DKIM has to be installed on your server and then someone has to generate the key and then the key has to be put into DNS. Since the majority of people haven't even heard of domain keys, it's entirely possible that your host hasn't either.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yeah, well that particular host will not be mine for a day past my current contract. I basically was led astray from the host I've been using for years, by the promise of Canadian and green together in one package. So I put one domain on this new host. But frankly, the deficiencies of the tech support - any support, really - at this host has convinced me to move the domain back to the tried and true as soon as possible.
    I am also re-doing my whole site with a custom theme I am currently designing for the blog portion, and integrating some of the great ideas I have been exposed to here. (Yep, I've been making lists and taking names...)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't get it. How do you get a contract from a host? Even if you prepay for a year, you just cancel the service and get a prorated refund. You have to bitch sometimes to get it (hi, iPowerWeb!) but you will get it eventually.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    You're right, but I only have a couple of months to go so the refund would not be worth my time to hassle over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads