Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I have recently started to build a new Wordpress site and i am using uk-cheapest.co.uk as my host. Recently I have been receiving the following message when trying to access the back end control panel (Parallels Plesk Panel 9.3).

ERROR: PleskFatalException
    Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many connections

0: common_func.php3:108
    psaerror(string 'Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many connections')
    1: auth.php3:93

I have sent a ticket to their help-desk but any reply's that i get seem to be useless and seem to be given by a kid who's just got their first computer, they reply with there servers are all fine and not too worry!. This error only appear's sometimes and also with reguards to my website, it regularly breaks with a "error establishing a database connection" message upon loading. The database its self i think is correct as the website will function fully at a later time without any changes occurring. These issues are the same across browsers Firefox, IE and chrome. Is this an issue with my hosting provider or is this simply a case of something at my end. Also what causes the "error establishing a database connection" to not only both appear but fix its self if the code is valid?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

D

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're not changing code, and you're receiving intermittent connection failures, it's almost certainly your host. Believe me, anyone who's ever had any success with web design and development has been exactly where you are right now, and it sucks. This isn't your fault at all, in all likelihood.

Given their up-to-date search engine chart on this page, I'm somewhat surprised that you're going through this. No, wait...that's not what I wanted to say...I meant "not surprised at all, given the fact that about half of those engines no longer exist in any capacity because that chart's at least 9 years old." I'm not trying to make fun of you, Del101...I'm just pointing out the apparent lack of a clue on the part of the people that you're dealing with.

So here's what I'd do if I were you:

1) Make a backup of your database/site if you haven't already. The sooner, the better.

2) Transfer your site to a new host, including the domain. Hopefully you were at least smart enough to register your domain separately from your hosting. If not...well...you're gonna have some real fun and you're about to learn a very hard lesson about letting your host register domains for you.

3) When the site's working on the new host, cancel the old one.

If you still see the error in question, it probably means something's going on with your code whereby a database connection isn't being properly closed. But I doubt that's the case, since you're getting the error within Plesk.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Could there be an outside chance that they are working the database server to death, and is not keeping up?
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd say there's more than an outside chance of that. I'd even say there's a chance that the database server is the web server. There's nothing wrong with that if the server can support it, but if it can't...g'night, everybody!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Cheers Game, yea had figured that the hosts were a bit dated judging by their funky website. The site's for a client (who picked the hosts btw!) so he's been gently told that he may need to fork out just a wee bit more for it the next time. He's still to get back to me about the domain so hopefully it ain't living with these guys.

Thanks for the help

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I hope so too, for your sake. If not, then I hope you shave your head. That way, you can't rip your own hair out.

Member #
    haha.. well i shave my hair already!.. thou i am due a haircut..

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Many hosts limit how many mysql database connections you can have at once. Each visitor who is using the site uses up 1 connection. Presumably plesk also uses 1. So if you visit your site while its busy you will have that error. I would say its time to move to a new host.

Remove Ads