Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Can someone please let me know things I should know when looking to host a domain name? Also I would like advice on putting up a holding page and how to put one up aswell.
    I have seen this site http://orders2.names.co.uk/order/ste...ing&tld=.co.uk that looks ok to someone inexperienced like me. Please advise. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    From your IP it looks as if you are in the U.K.
    Most hosting companies will register a domain name for you for free if you agree to host with them. You can then put up a holding page until you get your site sorted.

I am in Canada myself, but if you want to deal locally (Edinburgh) here are a couple of links for you
    http://www.edinburghwebsites.com/website_hosting.php
    http://www.barntonweb.co.uk/index.php?pg=hosting

I must say I am finding the prices very high for what you get compared to what is offered on this side of the pond.
    Here are a couple of U.S. links for comparison
    [COLOR=rgb(32, 117, 183)]http://www.hostgator.com/[/COLOR]
    http://www.hostmonster.com/ (full disclosure - I host several sites here, but have no other affiliation. Their support is excellent.)
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Hell, even my hosting business offers better prices, check out my signature, I offer servers in both sides of the pond!
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Mare, I gotta call you out on something.

Never...EVER...register a domain name through your host. Should there be an issue with the design, development and/or hosting of the site, the host retains control. Pay the $10 a year and register it yourself and save yourself a lot of potential heartache later (because it's yours).

As far as what to look for with hosting, that depends on your site.

Does it use any server-side languages (PHP, ASP, ASP.net, etc.?)
    Is it a new site? If not, how much bandwidth do you expect for it to receive?
    How many email addresses and/or email forwards will you require?
    Does your site require a database? If so, what type (MySQL, MS-SQL, Access, etc.)
    Does your site have any special hosting requirements, custom installs, things like that?

The more of those questions you can answer, the more suitable a host you will find.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 208373
    Mare, I gotta call you out on something.

Never...EVER...register a domain name through your host. Should there be an issue with the design, development and/or hosting of the site, the host retains control. Pay the $10 a year and register it yourself and save yourself a lot of potential heartache later (because it's yours).

As far as what to look for with hosting, that depends on your site.

Does it use any server-side languages (PHP, ASP, ASP.net, etc.?)
    Is it a new site? If not, how much bandwidth do you expect for it to receive?
    How many email addresses and/or email forwards will you require?
    Does your site require a database? If so, what type (MySQL, MS-SQL, Access, etc.)
    Does your site have any special hosting requirements, custom installs, things like that?

The more of those questions you can answer, the more suitable a host you will find.
    Game - I always register my own domains separately.
    BUT often my client wants the free domain so I explain as best I can and then leave the decision up to them.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Alright. In that case, burden's on the client.

In my case, I just tell them "go with GoDaddy and you'll be protected from problems should they arise." None of my clients have ever registered with their hosts as a result. They may not go with GoDaddy but they go with some registrar.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Thinking about it more specifically - it's my Canadian clients who want .ca domains and strictly Canadian hosting, that go with registering with the host, mainly because they want the "100% Canadian" cachet.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Back to the OP.....

Not everyone that lives in the UK wants a .co.uk address.... but even so... if their target markets are in the US... perhaps registering and hosting here is more feasible...

"parking pages" are pretty much a standard thing here in the US when you register a domain if the registrar is worth a lick... but they are ad revenue pages for the domain....

once you register a domain...and acquire a hosting account... just create a simple HTML page with the "coming soon... " or whatever you want on it, and upload it to the hosting server you choose... this is true anywhere...

I really don't understand the "free domain" concept.... I always urge potential clients to register the domain for the longest time possible... for security sake as well as "SEO" benefits... the web site itself is an investment in their business... so should be the domain name... 10 years for under a hundred bucks... no brainier in my book...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't agree with registering domains for a 10-year period myself. I never bought into the SEO theory (anyone can spend money), and even good registrars are capable of disappearing off the face of the earth. So I only ever register domains a year at a time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I made the mistake of getting my domain for free through the web host i use for one of my sites. By the time that expires I will be hosting the site here at my house. Will it be a problem to point the domain to my servers? Or are they gonna wanna keep the domain?
    web host is webhostingpad.com and my site is hardwareinsights.com...

Now to stick to topic, for my hosting comany that i own (shovehost) I decided to only do free forum hosting because .com domains are like $20/month in the Uk (the guys whose service i resell has his business in there) and (even though i live in the usa) that is too much...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads