Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    My first client, who ended up using GoDaddy, made an account on their site and gave me the login information so I could add the correct products to the cart. However, after the client bought what they needed I was able to login to the account and had the ability to purchase more things since their credit card information was on the account. Now, of course I didn't purchase anything or abuse the information, but I was wondering how to avoid this kind of thing with my current client?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I'm confused as to what you're asking.

Well, of course, you could just not buy anything...
    Are you concerned about liability if somthing happens in their GoDaddy account they blame you?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    you should NOT have checked the little box that says "save my CC information"... on the form that you fill it on on... They can go back in and hide that... but I would encourage them to login to their account and change their password... for YOUR protection...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Agreed, you should ask them in writing to change their password when you have finished using the account to remove any potential liability.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The other thing you can do to protect yourself against liability is to destroy anything containing the password or credit card info (emails, pieces of paper, etc.) This is what I do to prevent against any possible liability.

Mind you, your client is actually protected against unauthorized purchases by the credit card issuer. This falls under the category of "little-known fact", but if anyone disputes a credit card charge, the charge will be reversed and burden of proof falls on the merchant to show that the client wanted the product.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I like to have a business meeting... bring along my laptop... help them create the account... but their domains... list me a "technical contact"... then buy me a beer or 3

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    3? Is that one beer per domain?

You need to find someone who's in the domain reseller industry and get yourself good and plowed!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Just don't sell too many domains in one day :P

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is actually a common ethical problem. I need to have access to client accounts of many kinds, and often those accounts include credit cards, bank accounts, etc. My company has an ethics policy that we provide to clients, which includes disclosing the information that we have access to.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I never register the domain where I host.

I pay for everything, and provide an invoice with the receipts and a surcharge for my time setting everything up. Most of my clients are only too happy to have me take care of everything, and it avoids me having to know their credit card numbers, etc.

If they want to do it themselves, since they usually don't know how to go about it, I set an office appointment, and I walk them through it. That way when it comes to the credit info I can leave them alone to do it, again avoiding having credit information I'm not comfortable with. Again, I charge for my time.

Either way, I print the relevant documents and give them a copy for their records.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads