Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    So, I am a beginner at pretty much everything website orientated. I currently run a site (though still under construction.) for a text based RPG that I am a group of friends co-wrote. I know you guys hate forums and things like this from reading various posts but I know it will actually get used. Anywho. I am thinking of changing from my host I am using to a new one as mine is really starting to annoy me.
    I don't know technical terms so bare with. I need:
    • Forum
    • Chatroom
    • Emails
    • A way to make a store type thing where players pay with in game currency
    • In game currency
    • Some other pages holding mostly HTML.
    • The ability to design it yourself

I need it pretty easy to set up and look after as I am not the sharpest tack (and I am at peace with that XD) and as cheap as possible but still reliable.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    there are hundreds of host out there...

What you are talking about are "applications" many of which you can find and install yourself.

Hosting is pretty much an OPEN space on a server somewhere... most do not provide applications much less support for applications...

I would suggest some type of LINUX based hosting as there are many more PHP based applications already created...and depending on where your user base is... select hosting in at least the same region.

Check out http://www.hotscripts.com for scripts...

Keep in mind that "CHEAPEST" is not always the best choice... sometimes the cheapest will have as many problems as FREE... a lot of downtime.. lot's of restrictions... slow response times ...and other issues.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    At least you're honest. Please ignore my comments in your other thread. I didn't see this one.

As far as the forum and chatroom go...Webzarus pretty much answered that. You can download these and most of them are pretty easy to install. I don't know PHP that well, and I can generally hack my way through them.

As far as a host goes, here's the answer I would give you:

http://www.sectorlink.com/web-hosting.html

They're who I use personally, they do use the same phpBB you're used to, and I think that they have a chatroom script among their one-click install scripts (don't hold me to this, though...I'm on a dedicated server with them, and there's no such thing as a one-click install for me). They're also really good at helping out if they can, even when it's something they're not responsible for (a script that chews up too much resources, etc.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Both wonderful comments, and greatly appriciated.The reason I need it cheap is I only have a part time job (Untill I can bully my boss into giving me more hours.) So my salary is tiny. But looking at sectorlink, They have a $4.99 a month plan which when converted into GBP will be mega cheap.

I know Webzarus mentioned Linux, and I noticed on the site it has linux or windows and now I am very confused. What is the difference and does it depend on the operating system you use?
    Also, Can I use the domain I already bought from my current host? I think the host did offer transfers but because so many were leaving they suspended that. I wouldn't know how to go about that.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There are 2 main server platforms for web site hosting... Windows based hosting and Linux based hosting...

Neither one matters with regards to the machine you use to develop on...or use...

although PHP ( a scripting language, can be run on both machines ), typically PHP tends to run faster and on Linux based servers, and the development world overall writes more apps for PHP...

Windows servers will run Windows based ( scripting languages )... ASP and ASP.NET... as well as some proprietary stuff...

for what you mentioned in the original post( what you want and your skill level)... the Linux based servers would be best, as most of the applications you are looking to have on your site... can be found for free... or very low cost... at the previously mentioned site...

As for the domain name ??? depending on how you obtained the domain name and your agreement with who you registered it with... it appears as if your domain is actually "Registered" with Godaddy... but if you actually signed up for a "free domain name" with some kind of offer... someone other than you is probably the "registered owner of record"... if that is the case ( depending on your agreement, you may not be able to take the domain name with you )... if you actually registered with godaddy... then pointing the domain to another site is a fairly simple and easy process...

Member #
    Ok Linux it is. Cheers.

What it is with the domain name. Is when you register you do it through the control panel of your site, you enter all your info like name address phone numbers etc. But when it gets activated you don't get any information. It just automatically runs. I have been reading through the (lack of) support forum and others have asked for the info to transfer it to another host but they are saying no at the moment. I doubt there is another way for me to get it.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The owner ( or who paid for it )... has to initiate the transfer... you can setup an account at most of the registrars without having to buy anything...

They will have to go to the registrars site that it is registered with... and request to transfer the domain name to another registrar.. or same if that's the case... but with different contact information... then a series of emails back and forth to verify the identity of the parties... then once the transfer is complete... it's your's ...

Typically agreements are enforced based on when you agreeded with it... if you signed up with them... and they were advertising "free domain name transfer".. and you've met all the guidelines of the original agreement... you may still be able to get the domain name... even if they are no longer making that offer...

if you know for sure, the offer to transfer the domain name was a valid offer when you signed up... it would be worth the time for an email to them, requesting to exercise your option to transfer the domain name elsewhere... worst they can say is no... in which case.. you'll need to get a new domain name ?

Member #
    Not sure if its ok to post this. But this is what they are saying http://help.forumotion.com/t91477-do...ed-temporarily

I think I'll have to buy a new one.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    probably the best option anyway...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd agree with that. As a side lesson, this is one of the reasons you should register a domain and order hosting separately. You never want your host to have control over your domain name.

So go with say GoDaddy or another domain registrar you trust, order it, and then follow the instructions provided by your host to transfer it. You can get the domain and hosting in either order, although I'd personally go domain first, hosting second.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads