Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hosting Overall

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey There!

I was wondering if someone could take some time and supply a list of hosting websites, that are either cheap or free. Now here is the twist, i need web hosting that like i said is cheap or free, but also has lots of freedom, like no advertisements, and that has extremely reliable uptime, and rarely goes offline. Is this possible or is it unrealistic to ask for a free or cheap web hoster that supplies you with all of these features?

Thanks!

Rob

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Define "cheap". Free, you're not going to get what you want. You get what you pay for...it's that simple.

www.sectorlink.com <-- has a $4.99 a month plan to get you started. And they are extremely reliable...the last time they went down for me, and it was only for a brief period, was October 2009. Before that, May 2003.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You are absolutely right you do "get what you pay for"

Thanks for the link!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    As it has been alluded to, you will not be able to have your cake and eat it too. Web hosting companies incur costs to keep a reliable server running, and they pass those savings onto you. Or in the case of a free host, they offset hosting costs using advertising, but since you are getting a free service from them, they offer little if any support or guarantees of reliability. So your only real option if reliability is a concern, is to go with a low cost hosting plan. The cost to keep your online business running is little more than the cost of a regular sized value meal from any fast food chain, or the cost to see a movie at a theater, or less than the cost of virtually any subscription based game out there. It is really a bargain, to be able to keep an online business running if you look at what you are getting in return.

I do work for a large and reliable web hosting company so I do not think I can give a completely unbiased recommendation, but suffice it to say that your best bet would be to go with a low cost host that offers good, and always available support, as any reliable host out there should be more than capable of hosting your site.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    How much bandwidth/disk space do you need...
    Because once I've got my hosting company finished/set up I would be offering $0.99 hosting but it's not a lot of disk space, etc. I think that's the problem you're going to run into! You're not going to be able to have a huge forum or whatnot on super cheap hosting, but you might be able to get at leat good uptime and great support for something that would be fine for a small static-pages site even with quite a bit of traffic.

But most slightly more expensive (somewhat known to be a little more crappy) hosts like JustHost or Bluehost like to include a free domain to get you to use their services, but make sure you read the terms of service about that really well, because sometimes if you ever do want to move off of their hosting they will keep your domain hostage and not let you take it to a different host. Also, the "free domains" often are free for 1 year then they slam you with overpriced renewal fees the rest of the years.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks guys for all the wonderful responses!

Member #
    Without blowing my own trumpet so to speak my own company can provide hosting from just 2.99 per month provides very little in the way of restrictions.

Remove Ads