Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

If a client asks to point a domain name (which is on our server) to an IP address (to another server)... what would this mean? Would this simply be a type of re-direct or would this mean that I would Host the website on our server?

Thanks in advance ...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No, it means they want to host the domain on a different server than yours. To do this properly, the dns pointer should be modified on the domain registrars records. If you don't enter a dns record chaange, and the dns pointer is to your server, they can't use the domain name.

A redirect will work, but not with the same domain name. You can redirect to an ip address or another domain name without the dns pointer being modified, bit search engines really don't like redirects.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for explaining and making things clear

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok just to extend to this question...

I am liasing with a domain registrant company who says this:

"We donít offer dns record (A record, MX record, et.) pointing to IP addresses, as we donít offer Hosting services anymore. The dns traffic would be generated on our server and no one would be billed for it, so it cannot be done. However, we can point the Primary and Secondary Nameservers to your Hosting company. The annual domain name renewals can then remain with us."

You see if I Host the domain name ... Would I get Dns traffic if I point the domain name to another IP address?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I would transfer out my domain with them as fast as possible.

If they can't modify the dns record, you're in for a lot of grief. That is why any decent domain name registrar offers the dns record modification to it's users.

Sure, you can list the hosting nameservers, but then you've got to get someone at the hosting company to make a change to thier host header records on whatever server your domain is on.

It's doable, but about 10 year old way of doing things.

Find a domain name registrar you can create an account with, transfer the domain away from them

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, thanks for the Input ... but my question remains:
    "You see if I Host the domain name ... Would I get Dns traffic if I point the domain name to another IP address?"
    What is DNS traffic?

I need to know if we will be Hosting the website if we point the domain name to an IP address:

My client created a website / blog with Weebly.com. and this is what he says after reading what is mentioned on weebly.com:

"I have no domain name at weebly. It will be www.xxxxxxxxx.com. All weebly does is send my site to the domain name. Once my domain is pointed to there IP."

I just don't want to do point a domain name to this IP address that goes to Weebly and the traffic could jam our server.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Every time you click on a link or enter a URL to go somewhere, a DNS request is sent to a dns server your pc communicates with, the dns server returns the ip address of that domain name so that your pc can go to the correct place.

If you don't update your dns records correctly, when people try to access your site , your pc will not know how to get to it.

Don't know weekly, suspect it's like bloggspot in the fact that you can point a domain name directly at your blogspot account. But for that to work, you need to modify your dns record.

When you do modify your dns record for that domain name, it may take up to 72 hours for global propagation.

Remove Ads