Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

We have got a domain name that points to another IP address.
    Now a client want wants an email account from our server, so this would mean I would have to create an MX record pointing to my server (because its was defaulted to the IP address we pointed the domain name to)?

IE ONE record:
    Record name: @
    Type: MX
    Data: 216.4534.453.4534 (<- not a real IP address)

??

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Unless you have a pop server and or smtp server on the same machine, then no.

Please define email account ? Some think you need an email server setup to just receive email from a web server. Not so, most hosting accounts have an smtp relay already configured, for use. You just need to contact them normally about using it properly. Since there are literally thousands of different configs for this it would be impossible to tell you how on your server. Your hosting provider will be your best resource for that.

An MX record is a dns pointer telling any incoming mail traffic where the mail server ( whatever kind youre using is actually located ), most hosting providers also have a mail server for you to send and receive mail from associated with any particular domain name.

An MX record should not be modified, unless you have the mail server setup, and know exactly what you are doing. 1 wrong setting, and not only can you not get mail, but if you leave a port open on accident you could open your server up as a spam bot.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

We do have a Mail server with our server as you mention here "most hosting providers also have a mail server for you to send and receive mail from associated with any particular domain name."

I go into my server and onto my control panel. I click 'DNS Zone Editor' where I see 4 default A Host records that of course have our servers IP address. Those 4 records are:

@ record name
    * record name
    www record name
    FTP record name

When I initially tried to setup my email account on Windows Live, and tested it ... an error message said that it could not connect to the IP address that the domain name is pointing to.
    So I thought that IP address is the wrong address anyway because we want to create the email account on our server (As if there is no DNS Pointing).

So I did some research and thought that I'd click "Add new DNS record" and create a MX Record that points to our server. IS this not the correct way??? Am I opening my server to SPAMBOTS???????? I personally don't see how?

I hope I have explained myself correctly ... Let me know, thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you have an ip address and an account setup on the mail server, you should be able to connect with outlook, outlook express, any number of mail clients with just that.

Once you try to connect, you should see the connection in the mail servers log files.

If that works, then create a A record for mail.yourdomain.com pointing to your ip address

Then an MX record for mail.yourdomain.com with a priority of 10

Once you chane any dns record pointer, it can take several hours to several days for it to resolve properly.

You can check when it resolves using netstat commands to see when the MX record will resolve.

Then set your mail client to connect to the mail pointer. (mail.yourdomain.com),

Some ISP's don't allow port 25 traffic except to and from their mail servers ( that's why most people can't run mail servers over residential cable or dsl connections ), ther are ways around it, normally it's just cheaper and more secure to go purchase a mail hosting package from a provider, they will send you instructions on setting your dns properly.

Usually, it's not a good practice to run a mail server and web hosting on the same servers as they can affect how the other service works. That's why most hosting providers separate their mail servers from their hosting servers.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok I'm not sure if I understand.

What records must I create?
    I had the following records:
    @ A record - pointing to another IP address
    * A record - pointing to another IP address
    www A record - pointing to another IP address
    FTP A record - pointing to MY IP address
    Now I have:

@ A record - pointing to another IP address