Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,

I am just over 1/2 way to finishing my first website which is a personal photo blog of sorts, but when it comes to actually getting it online what's the score?

1. Where/how do you check availability of the domain name you want?
    2. Do you purchase this seperately or from the hosting company you wish to use?
    3. Most important of all, once you have the domain how do you actually attach/associate it your web page?

I know these questions have most likely been asked a hundred times by other users but I appreciate the help

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    1. Any domain registrar.
    2. Yes. Don't buy them together, as you may not actually own the domain otherwise.
    3. The hosting company will tell you how to associate the domain with your account.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks....so as far as linking the domain name to the actual web pages themselves there is no code to be written, just speak to the host regarding this? cool, easy.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you register your domain name with a registrar that offers hosting... Then you won't have a problem.

Where you run into problems with the domain name ownership, is the hosting companies that usuall offer free domain names with their hosting package.

How can you tell which is which? Easy, pay for them both and don't fall for the "free offers", domain name registrars or resellers, have gotten a bad rap from these hosting companies that give Away a domain name with their hosting packages in hopes of someone creating a web site that becomes popular, then charging outrageous renewal fees.

So look for someone offering domain names for a decent price ( and has a renewal fee schedule posted ) as well as their hosting fee schedule posted. If they have both posted prominently, you shouldn't have to worry about getting slammed at renewal time.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Any decent domain name registrar will give you a contol panel that allows you access to your DNS records, if you purchase a domain name and hosting from a legitimate provider, your domain name will automatically be set to point to your hosting account. If you ever move your hosting, you can still modify your DNS records and point your domain name elsewhere.

If you buy hosting separately ( different provider ) than your domain name, you will get instructions on where to point your domain name to ( using your DNS Records ) to make it all work.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 219236
    1. Any domain registrar.
    2. Yes. Don't buy them together, as you may not actually own the domain otherwise.
    3. The hosting company will tell you how to associate the domain with your account.
    RE: #2, I have always bought mine together as I think that is easier. Just watch out for registrars that want you to buy domains for years and years (ahem, GoDaddy.com). This does not affect SEO and there is no reason to pre-pay that far out, IMO.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1. Discount pricing on multiple years.
    #2. I don't want to have to re-register 100+ domain names every year... Not only is it a pain... My time is worth something... Spending a whole day re-registering all those domains ( not making money... ), or make money doing something worthwhile.
    #3. May not effect SEO per say... But I have seen jumps in SE index position and did nothing but extend registration length.

All 4 major search engines use a sandbox period ( you won't find it online anywhere, but they talk about it at search conferences )... To weed out spam sites... Spam sites only register when the domain registration expires, people that know this tend to register domains for 2 or more years at a time so the search engine WON'T consider the site a potential spam site and get out of the sandbox quicker.

I recommend at least a 5 year registration to clients, usually if they have a problem spending less than 50 bucks on thier business, I rarely take them on as a client.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232254
    #2. I don't want to have to re-register 100+ domain names every year... Not only is it a pain... My time is worth something... Spending a whole day re-registering all those domains ( not making money... ), or make money doing something worthwhile.
    I set my domains to auto-renew so I don't have to spend ALL THAT TIME re-registering.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232254
    I recommend at least a 5 year registration to clients, usually if they have a problem spending less than 50 bucks on thier business, I rarely take them on as a client.
    Also, if they don't think they'll be in business for 5 years they're probably not a good bet...I actually had a client tell me to only register for one year "Until we see whether the business folds or not"!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 232263
    Also, if they don't think they'll be in business for 5 years they're probably not a good bet...I actually had a client tell me to only register for one year "Until we see whether the business folds or not"!
    Hope for the best, expect the worst.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads