Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all,

So I am pretty much a complete rookie with this kind of stuff and don't really even know where to begin. But, here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a music blog right now, on the free wordpress site, so everything is pretty much set up already for me making it easy to use. However, we want to get off of wordpress to have more freedom. I know that I have to get a host, which usually comes with a domain name. I have been looking at https://www.bluehost.com/ for this (are there any better ones for similar price?).

Now here's where I don't really know what to do. Say I purchase their service to have move my blog to.

1) Do I need to buy a template for the site as well (I saw some on http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress)? If so, how does that work to be used with the hosting site? I really have no idea how it works, sorry.

2) Just in general, what else do I need to do to get the site up and running and formatted correctly (i.e. having categories for posts, different pages of website, etc etc)? Would it be set up similarly and as easy to use like wordpress is now?

3) Is there any way to "import" all of the posts we currently have on our site to the new one?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I don't know what to expect when it comes to creating the new "version" of the site.

Thanks a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    any decent hosting provider is going to have wordpress as an installation option on their servers as a option for install by clicking a few buttons.

Typically, a domain name registration and hosting are 2 separate things.... Register the domain, then acquire hosting somewhere ( most domain registrars have hosting as an option )... don't go with the free ( ad supported )... pay a little bit, and do as you want.

as for moving your content, yes it's possible, but everyone has a different process for doing it... on my servers, it's possible to save your DB's out ( backup ).... and then import the DB into the new installation... but depending on what you have now, getting a copy of the DB ???

templates, yes for wordpress, there are tons... and most of the time they are as simple as copying the template folder into your install... then going into the wordpress admin panel and selecting the particular template... this means you usually have to have FTP access to upload the templates.

Member #
    Ok thanks a lot for the response. Bluehost does have the option for those without domain name already, so I would choose to do that. So, I guess here is my simplified question.

If I buy the hosting plan, and then they are giving me the domain, will I be able to continue to make posts for my site by just going into the account after installing wordpress and the template I buy?

I guess a follow up question is by installing wordpress, will the designing of the page that I am in control of (posts, pages, categories, tabs, widgets, etc) all be similar to how it is for me now? By that I mean with the "Dashboard" and "Appearance" etc. options on the side panel.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    HI - I use WP a lot for myself and my clients - this shuld not be difficult if you follow the steps in the right order.
    1. First register your domain name - and preferably not with the same place you host - I know most hosts are offering free domains nowadays but I just like to keep the two things separate - I don't want my hosts to refuse to transfer the domain name if I ever decide to move my account elsewhere.

2. Get hosting somewhere. I have been using Hostmonster with WP for years, and find them extremely good. I prefer the SimpleScripts install option they use for WP, as opposed to the Fantasatico that some other hosts use, and particularly like that they don't outsource their support. I see that Bluhost offer this as well, so you should be good there.

3. Point your domain at your new hosts's nameservers. There should be clear instructions on how to do this in the support area of the registrar you used for the domain name. If not, your new host's Support will be able to walk you through it.

3. Do the one-click install of WP through the Control Panel of your host.

4. Log in to your Wp site and check out the Admin Dashboard, familiarize your self with it. I have never used wordpress.com to host a blog, but the software is the same, so it should be very similar to what you're used to, probably with a few additions.

5 . Set up the theme you like - you can search from the WP Dashboard for some very nice free ones and install any of those right from the Dashboard, or you can purchase one and install it. (Follow the installation instructions that will come with it). Make a couple of practice pages and posts so you have something to work with while you set it up.

6. Once you have the theme set up the way you like, the final step will be to export your content from your existing site and bring it in to the new one. I am not certain what the export procedure is from wordpress.com - I'll check it out and get back to you.

EDIT: The export procedure is exactly the same - there is a link under the "Tools" tab in the dash board where you can export the contents of your site to a file on your desktop, and then in the new site on your own host, you import that file.
    akc1207 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thank you so much AlphaMare, a ton of help. I will take a further look into the instructions you gave and go from there. Appreciate it greatly.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    You're very welcome. I'll follow this thread - if/when you need more help, just post, and i'll try to help as much as possible.
    akc1207 likes this.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    OK, we came up with another question. When we tried various audio players, and one we would like to use would not work due to restrictions from wordpress.com I believe. The code for it was simple:

[audio "mp3 link"]

So the question is if we install the WP app, will those restrictions still stand preventing the audio player from playing the song? Or will it finally work now because we are no longer with wordpress.com?

Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by akc1207, post: 220065
    OK, we came up with another question. When we tried various audio players, and one we would like to use would not work due to restrictions from wordpress.com I believe. The code for it was simple:

[audio "mp3 link"]

So the question is if we install the WP app, will those restrictions still stand preventing the audio player from playing the song? Or will it finally work now because we are no longer with wordpress.com?

Thanks again.
    I can't tell what the player is from the code - can you point me to where you found it? Is it a WP plugin or a different program? I'd have to know what it is in order to figure out if it'll work with WP.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    An an mp3 link will open whatever the visitors set player is. typically on a windows pc, media player is the default mp3 player, but many users will install different players.

When you put a link to an mp3 file, you normally can't control what the user is going to see.

Many people will convert music and video files to .swf. Or .fla files so the users browse will use the built in flash player ( if they have it installed ).

Also, before posting any kind of files to your site, check your hosting providers TOS, as many have restrictions on files you can serve from your account. Even converted to .swf files, many hosting providers will delete them ( unless you have a dedicated media account )

Member #
    Ok here is the audio player we tried:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/audio/

We were basically just putting in the link from somewhere online that it was uploaded so we think that might be the problem if there is some sort of block on those sites due to restrictions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads