Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    What are these extra features, and do I need them? I am looking to use my websites to market on google and other paid advertising platforms. Thanks for your suggestions!

SiteLock Domain Security
    - $12.95 per year More information
    Site Backup Pro
    - $12.95 per year More information
    Domain Whois Privacy
    - $9.95 per year HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Bluehost Webhosting

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm going to answer these in reverse order...

My registrar offers Domain Whois Privacy for free. Is your domain registered with Bluehost? I generally make it a point not to register domains with the hosting company.

I do purchase the Site backup for some of my client sites, particularly the ones where the client may be making changes (and as often as not, breaking the site and calling me in a panic) - I bill it to the client. For my own sites, I keep two copies in an external HD - one is the current one, one is the last iteration before that, named by the sitename and the date. When I make changes, I usually delete the oldest one and save the new one.

I am debating about using SiteLock on my main site, but I need to do more research first.
    Tyler Smith likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hm...
    I can tell now that I definitely don't need the site backup service.

How would I not register the domain under the web hosting company?

This is the extra info text about SiteLock:

What is SiteLock?

• Demonstrate to your customers that you are a trustworthy business by verifying your credentials such as email, phone and address.
    • SiteLock automatically scans your website for vulnerabilities and malware to ensure they are not being blocked or spammed.
    • Displaying the SiteLock certificate increases conversion rates on your site. It will give your business instant credibility & trust in the eyes of customers.

Why would I need SiteLock?

• Eliminate database vulnerabilities
    • Secure your network
    • Remove malware
    • Recover your reputation

What are the services provided by SiteLock?

• Malware removal
    • Spam black-list removal
    • Database security
    • Network security
    • Ongoing security assurance
    • Security verification logo
    • Discounted expert services

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Smith, post: 223327
    Hm...
    I can tell now that I definitely don't need the site backup service.

How would I not register the domain under the web hosting company?

This is the extra info text about SiteLock:

What is SiteLock?
    Why would I need SiteLock?

What are the services provided by SiteLock?
    About SiteLock -Yeah, I read that too, but it is not nearly detailed enough for me to fork over $$$, not even a little. Like for example -
    • eliminate database vulnerabilities - how?
    • Secure your network - again, how?
    • Remove malware - and again, how?
    • Recover your reputation - yet again, how?

AS for registering the domain where you host, take this example:
    Someone registers for a hosting company, gets a free domain, and later on wants to move hosts for whatever reason. The old host has the registration in their company name, meaning that both a registrant transfer and a DNS server update now have to take place. The registrant transfer has been known to cause problems, since the host doesn't want to lose the customer (so they effectively hold the domain hostage).

[Edit: Thanks to TheGame1264 (former member) for the succinct language here.]
    Tyler Smith likes this.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    This is exactly why I came here to ask instead of just take their word for it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Smith, post: 223462
    This is exactly why I came here to ask instead of just take their word for it.
    It always pays to ask - better informed = better decisions.

Remove Ads