Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

I have questions with regards to dedicated servers and the package we currently have with Godaddy.

Our dedicater server specs are as follows:

OS: Microsoft Windows server 2003, Web edition, service pack 2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    1GB Ram
    150GB Hard drive
    I'm not sure what our bandwidth is, but I think its 500GB per month
    20GB FTP Backup
    MySQL
    Hmailserver
    PHP 5

We are paying $115 /m for this dedicated server!

Am I getting ripped off? I hear that Godaddy is only good for buying domain names and thats it!
    This dedicated server is like the computer people bought back in the late 90's!!

I am really considering "upgrading" my dedicated server and what we don't like about the Godaddys dedicated server, is the fact that we DO NOT have tech support!!
    We do need tech support.

Further questions:
    1) Is it necessary to have a faster computer and operating system?
    2) Who can offer me a dedicated server with full support (so if we have problems with the hmailserver or MySQL, we can contact the company to resolve the issue(s)?
    3) If I decide to go with a new dedicated server, can we simply transfer all the data from our current server to the new server?

I would appreciate your responce / advice and suggestions, thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    1) Depends. How's the performance? Have you looked at the stats to determine when its highest load is, and looked at it then?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

How do I look at the stats? Where to I go?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To answer your questions:
    Am I getting ripped off? I hear that Godaddy is only good for buying domain names and thats it!
    This dedicated server is like the computer people bought back in the late 90's!!
    Not really. You've got a 2003 OS.

Seriously, the specs on that server are probably about low-end to middle-of-the-pack. For what you're paying, they're not terrible. Believe me, there are worse (http://preview.tinyurl.com/7tflbdx)these guys come to mind). The other thing I'd ask is "how long ago did you order this package?" This might have been one of the better deals at the time, especially if you've left it longer than say 3 years. From the looks of those specs, you've probably had the server about that length of time.
    GoDaddy servers are generally okay, but they have issues (such as the stupid SMTP daily cap you've probably run into). Not the greatest, but not terrible either.

1) What you're probably looking for is the Windows Performance Monitor.. But if you're having problems with things like MySQL and hmailserver, then you've probably got install issues. Who installed everything?

2) and in the end 3) In all likelihood, no one for the price you're paying. Yes, it's a 3-digit price, but you've also got a machine all to yourself that a host could split among several customers and get paid more. Most hosts will give you the OS with all of the updates and then you have to install the rest on your own now.

For example, I ordered my new DS in December from Sectorlink. I got access to it on Christmas Eve morning, hit the gym, and then spent the afternoon at my in-laws' configuring it and moving all of my clients' sites over. I had to install PHP, MySQL, SQL Server, even IIS (which seems stupid on the surface, but not all of their customers need IIS...some of them just want a backup storage site or a dedicated SQL server or something). I had to configure my own backup solution, which takes about 5 minutes in Windows Server 2008 if you have 3 hard drives...two RAID1 drives + dedicated backup drive. I then moved all of my clients' sites over from my old dedicated server using RDP...it's basically a giant copy/paste operation for the most part, although data is a different story (if you have MySQL/SQL databases, those have to be done separately). Yes, server gurus, I know that's not totally true...I oversimplified on purpose to make a point, though.

The whole process took me about 8 hours, but I'm glad I went through it because I familiarized myself with the OS and solved a lot of things myself so that I don't need to ask them as many questions about stupid things. I just do them on my own and they're solved. And I didn't have to uninstall any crap just to get it the way I wanted it. I have my mail server (paid for the software license), I have my SQL server, I have IIS, I have my backup, I have my server on and popping.

Do I still have questions? From time to time, yes. But they're questions that I know I'll get answered because for the most part, I can restrict them to server questions (e.g. adding domains to DNS because I don't host my own, things like that) and I don't have to worry about the other stuff.

So hopefully that covers all of your questions.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I would recommend not using GoDaddy for a multitude of reasons.
    While I've never had a dedicated server for them, I realliy like HostGator.
    http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated.shtml
    that's a link to their dedicated servers...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    HostGator isn't bad, either. My issue with them is all the forum spam monkeys, although they haven't been around for a while.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just to see what would happen, I took the specs provided and created the closest match I could on Sectorlink. Now, this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison since I couldn't match up things such as CPU (Sectorlink doesn't offer single-core processors anymore) and FTP backup (that's why there's a second hard drive). But here's as close as I could get.

As I said, your plan isn't horrible. But yeah, you can do better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    That's pretty expensive for a Pentium 4 - like you said, it is pretty old technology. You could get a dual core server with more RAM for less money at a lot of places. Have you been renting it for long? (I'd be concerned about the age of the hard drive and how much use it has left in it if it has been in service for a number of years) Most providers that specialize in dedicated server rental will be able to offer you support on an "as needed" basis, many even offer a managed service where they will migrate your data for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not with a Windows OS. A Windows OS automatically puts servers in the $99 a month range pretty much by itself.

You wouldn't need the migration of data either. Set up RDP right and it's a copy/paste process for the most part (I didn't say "completely" before someone jumps down my throat...it was a general statement.)

The other thing that you have to keep in mind is that "cheaper" isn't always "better" when it comes to hosting. If someone offers you a $20 dedicated server, chances are either the server or the company is going to suck.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you have a dedicated server and are not using all of the available resources on it consider using / getting a vps. same deal as a dedicated without all the extra bells and whistles. Keep in mind that most hosting providers will happily span a vps out across a dedicated box if you need it later on.

Remove Ads