Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What WordPress hosting would you recommend?

Member #
    I'm about to set up my new website on WordPress but I'm not sure on what web hosting company to choose. I'm looking for a host that offers unlimited disk space with data backup. Heard some good reviews about InMotion http://www.webhostingsearch.com/revi...on/userreviews Would you guys recommend it for WordPress sites?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Several factors should always be considered when choosing a hosting provider.

1. Who is your target market and where are they located.
    2. Are you a windows or linux developer ( wordpress can and does run on both platforms )
    3. How long has the hosting provider been in business

Most decent hosting providers and their resellers are pretty equal on the hardware and reliability issues, but if your target market is US based, the latency from UK based or ASIA based hosting will affect response times negatively to your target base.

Yes, I know wordpress runs better ( performance wise ) on Linux, but many asp or asp.net developers will run other applications alongside so it only makes sense to choose the hosting platform you can get the most out of.

I once spent 3 months researching hosting providers for a sizable project for a client, decided on a fairly new company who had been in business for about 2 years, while developing the site in a test environment, the hosting provider went belly up, shut down their servers and have never been heard from again. Granted, they had very few negative reviews and a lot of really good reviews posted on many forums across the Internet, so their closing came as a surprise to even some that are well respected in this industry.

I can throw around names all day long, and can even recommend my reseller account, but if your target market is not US based, even mine would not be the best choice for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, unlimited disk space doesn't exist. It's an impossibility. There are no hard drives in the world that allow you to store unlimited amounts of data on them. They're all finite. That's just basic comp science. (Not that I'm blaming you for it).

Second, not a lot of hosts offer backup on their shared hosting plans. You're looking at VPN or dedicated or a DIY backup plan in all likelihood. It's not worth it to hosts to offer backup on plans where they're only getting paid $1, $2, $3 a month.

Third...what Webzarus said.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah even mine offers unlimited, but read the fine print... All files must be used for the website ( so no picture or video file storage )... Etc, etc... Most every one that proclaims unlimited space have restrictions on what you can and can't put on their servers within the " unlimited scope ".

I went back and read the reviews from the link above, I take hosting reviews with a grain of salt... It's marketing, advertising, etc... So many factors are ignored or omitted by those reviews... Downtime and customer service are not the only 2 things to grade a hosting provider on.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There are also some fairly obvious shill reviews on the WebHostingSearch site:
    [SIZE=11px]In general, I have got excellent services at my provider InMotionHosting. However, the most important for me, their strictly defense policy and practice but at the same time the trustfulness. [/SIZE]
    No customer...EVER...is going to mention a "defense policy." What is that? That's not a common term and probably something these guys have come up with to be different.
    [SIZE=11px]Stability, reliability, intuitive and easy to use interfaces, great customer service, accessible, good and immediate answers to questions, all for a fraction of the price I used to pay. I can only say: This is the best hosting experience you could possibly hope for. [/SIZE]
    Too generic. Usually a shill post. No regular human being uses the phrase "a fraction of the price." That's marketingspeak.

I would say most of those reviews are written by customers, but it doesn't look like too many, if any at all, are written by customers with knowledge and/or that aren't shills. I'm even suspicious of the SEO guy (possible paid reviewer...it's too weird that a guy would go from IT to SEO).

So yeah, really read the reviews closely and try to find the ones that are at least halfway intelligent and don't have a shill angle. Most of them seem okay, but I'd still be suspicious.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi Khaye,

This is Tim S from InMotion Hosting. I wanted to take some time to see if I can answer any questions you may have. I can tell you, we advertise unlimited storage space, which is correct. Other posters were right, every server has limits due to it's actual disk drives. If we notice your account is requiring a large amount of space, we have servers optimized for accounts lots of disk space, however it's rare we see customers reaching the point where they need to be on our large disk servers. We never charge for extra storage space.

Others were correct as well when speaking about location. Location is everything in web hosting. We are a US based company with data centers located on both the East and West coasts. When signing up, you'll be asked which data center will work better for you.

I can tell you, most web hosting companies do marketing and we're no different. But what does set InMotion apart, is our tech support. All of our technical support is US based out of our East Coast office. We offer support 24/7/365 and can be contacting through phone, live chat, and email.

We've been in the web hosting business for roughly 10 years and offer Linux servers. I personally run multiple WordPress websites on our servers without issue. We even have some great guides on using WordPress to help our customers.

If you have any questions concerning InMotion Hosting or any of our hosting plans, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Tim S

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Funny thing I noticed about that review site... They also pick and choose what price they want to display for the different hosting companies.

Funny how they listed the lower price for this one, but for godaddy and several others, they listed a mid range price. No mention of the fact that there are multiple price packages either.

I gave up on webhosting review sites a long time ago.

When I research out a company ( thankfully I don't have to anymore ), but I have access to machines in several countries, I run monitors, and network scans against some of their servers to see what kinds of response times I get from different locations.

Yes, a ping is a ping, but response times on large packets from a machine in india can tell you which servers are or are not connected directly to or in close proximity to a backbone. The latency on the tracert tells the tale, and a 32 byte ping every 15 seconds for 60 days can pretty much tell you if their servers are maintained or susceptible to downtime.

I tend to go with hosting providers that are located where there is the least amount of weather variation, a hurricane wiped out one of my hosting providers entire server farm several years ago, so yeah it's a consideration.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow, I never read that review site that closely until now, but there's one line in it that makes me realize I'd never use it as a serious review site.
    [SIZE=11px] For my $4 per month I had to sign up for 24 months and prepay for the entire period. A domain was included for free and if you want to purchase extra domains they are an extra $11.95 per year. [/SIZE]
    ARE YOU SERIOUS, BRO?

If you're a true hosting customer, and you really are on the side of the hosting customer, there's no way you even bring this up without the phrase "be very careful when acquiring a domain for free" or words to that effect.

I have to admit that Tim S gave a pretty good answer, though. Be nice if we knew his full name, but there are employees at Sectorlink whose full names I don't know (like the three Jasons.)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    In terms of who I would recommend for wordpress hosting it is hard to say. My experience says get one who meets your requirements. Price is always secondary and should be. If you are on a budget then do a search for cheap hosting providers. If you are wanting something reliable with really good support then my advice is look at hosting that costs say $10USD+ per month.

99% of hosting providers today offer shared linux hosting plans that will cover all of your requirements for hosting a wordpress site. I would say without looking at your site that any hosting plan offering over say 1GB is just gravy that you may not use unless you have an image gallery or something.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaye, post: 226408
    I'm about to set up my new website on WordPress but I'm not sure on what web hosting company to choose. I'm looking for a host that offers unlimited disk space with data backup. Heard some good reviews about InMotion http://www.webhostingsearch.com/revi...on/userreviews Would you guys recommend it for WordPress sites?
    I think most any host could host word press. You just need to make sure they have MySQL databases and whatever your bandwidth requirement would be. I use bluehost.com for my clients. I really like their server speed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads