Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a domain name I want to register.

I don't want to register it for "free" with a web hosting company because I don't want to loose it if there are any problems with the website host.

I understand that there is an international organization with which I can register my domain name for 10 years. This way I'll have secure domain name when I approach a web host.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry, just re read the post.

Any legitimate domain name registrar or reseller can offer you 10 year registration on a domain name.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Personally I use www.mydomain.com
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks. I have a few more questions.

I have a fairly new Toshiba laptop that I will be using to start producing websites using WordPress 3.3.

I bought this Toshiba laptop in March 2010 to use with a Summa sign-making vinyl die cutter. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. Below is a description of my computer and its current set-up/specifications, followed by my questions.

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop (Model: A505-S6033)
    • Intel Core i7-720QM Processor, 6MB L3 cache and 1.8GHz processor (up to 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
    • 4GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 8GB)
    • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support.
    • 16" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display. 1366 x 768 resolution.
    • 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    • NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics?With 512MB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory and up to 1755MB dynamically allocated shared memory (2267MB total) using NVIDIA TurboCache technology. HDMI-CEC port.
    • Harman/Kardon stereo speakers?With Dolby Sound Room support.
    • Media control buttons?Include Toshiba eco utility, mute, media, CD/DVD controls, volume up and volume down.
    • Built-in webcam and microphone.
    • Multiformat media reader?
    • i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 3 USB 2.0 ports for digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities.
    • 1 eSATA/USB combo port.
    • Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
    • Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN?With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011/2012 installed
    CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 installed
    Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet driver installed
    Safari browser installed
    Firefox browser installed
    MS Explorer (but I never use it)
    Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010 installed

My questions are:
    1) I'm going to be registering a domain name and getting web hosting for a website I'm going to build in WordPress 3.3. I understand that it's better to register the domain name with one company and get the web hosting from a different company to avoid losing the domain name if there are problems with the webhost—like if the web host goes out of business or something else happens. How do you folks feel about that idea? And how long should I register the domain name for: one year at a time or for the 10 year maximum?

2) Will Windows 7 be ok or should I upgrade to Windows 8 when it is released, and whichever one I use should it be the Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate version?

3) Which Adobe software package should I buy? Adobe Web Premium or Master Collection?

4) Portable external hard drive—how big—500GB, 1 Terabyte, or something else?

5) Which HTML editor and FTP apps should I download or buy?

6) What other browser apps, extensions, and plug-ins should I download or buy?

7) What other software applications should I acquire?

8) Which browser is the best?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I've read the same thing about domain names and hosting, but I've never had a problem with any domain name or hosting I've ever done. Registrars or resellers that sell hosting packages are always better options than hosting providers that offer domain name registration.

I think there is a lot of general confusion on this matter when it doesn't need to be.

I'm a reseller of domain names, if I decide to shut down my business, all the domains and hosting agreements are legally protected and managed by the parent company.

I did purchase a domain a really long time ago from what appeared to be a reputable hosting provider, but when I went to move my sites to a new hosting provider, there was a lot of problems.

Long story short, register your domain name with a "domain name registrar" not with a hosting company that offers domain names as a service.

I use a variety of machines and devices for my work, so none of that really matters to me, whatever you're happy working with.

If you are just stating out, I would only suggest you spend more time on learning that just going out and buying massively overpriced software and hoping you can figure out how to use it.

Learn, understand how the different code technologies work together...

I've created and manage several worpresss sites using nothing but notepad++ and a netbook that sits propped against my couch. Other larger projects I have I can tweak and make small changes as needed, but programming projects is much easie with multiple monitors, and my big desktop pc.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    1. As long as it's a reputable company it's ok.

2. Windows 8 is still in a closed beta, there's no way to answer that. Public beta ETA is 2-3 months out.
    You can get the PRE-BETA version of Windows 8 for Windows Developers from Microsoft, but I sure as **** would NOT use it for anything other than checking it out. There are no guarantees of stability or even working correctly: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

3. Notepad++

4. Completely up to you. BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!

5. Notepad++ / Filezilla

6/7/8. Up to you.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks for the info Wired and Webzarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228151
    Long story short, register your domain name with a "domain name registrar" not with a hosting company that offers domain names as a service.
    Would Go Daddy and Fat Cow be two examples of a domain name registrar?

Thanks.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Yes, even though Go Daddy has a bad rep IMO, they send out lots of spam to your email, have a cluttered and confusing interface, and they're not good priced.
    I use DynaDot and have never had any problems, even though if you do have an issue I doubt there is support is any good...

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 228172
    I use DynaDot and have never had any problems, even though if you do have an issue I doubt there is support is any good...
    HRUH?
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Funny, never gotten a single piece of spam from them, they are one of the few that require to check and verify your contact info every year ( actually a requirement by ICANN ), they have little check boxes to turn off their sales offers.

Every support issue I've ever had regarding THEIR issues has been resolved in less than 12 hours, but I do know people that trashed their own DNS settings and it took a while for them to fix it.

Personally not shopping around for another registrar, but I found godaddy on ICANN's list of accredited registrars. ( which means they are bonded, insured and have to follow ICANN regulations when doing business ).

Godaddy is notorious for cross selling and up selling, but if you don't want to see all their offers, click the shopping cart, bypass all the offers.

Remove Ads