Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all. I'm basically here for a bit of advice. I set the site up a few years ago when I didn't know anything about creating and maintaining a website, so I didn't put all that much thought into the web host I used. I have a registered domain, but I bought it through a different company to that who I host my website with.

I'm now looking into changing to a different host for a few reasons. The site I'm currently using has a forced pop-up ad whenever my site is loaded, which I would obviously like to get rid of. And I want a web host that will allow me to view more information about traffic etc.

My first question is, who would I be best to change to? Ideally I would like a free website host (or will I always have problems of popups with free services?) Either that, or a particularly cheap host.

Also, I really don't know anything about how I would transfer my website over to a different host, so any advice or information on this would be great.

Thanks very much.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Free host typically are slow in response times, have really bad uptime issues, or force ads over your site ( as you have mentioned ). As well, they are usually classified as ( bad neighbors by search engines ), and are hard to get your site listed on search engines.

If you are considering creating a site that needs to be stable, can be indexed by search engines, or are serious about learning web design/development. Find a reputable host ( these forums are a good place to find out more about a particular host ).

Once you have a hosting package somewhere, they will provide you with the correct DNS pointer information you'll need to make changes on your domain name with.

Most decent registrars have control panels where you can point your domain name to a particular host, many have DNS managers as part of their control panels, you'll enter the dns info provided by the hosting company there.

Be aware, many times when you make a DNS change can take up to 72 hours to see the change. Depending on your host, your domain name registrar and even you home ISP settings, I have seen these DNS changes happen in as little as an hour, and as long as 48 hours.

Member #
    Okay great. So once I have made the necessary changes on my domain name, what happens with website content? Is everything quite simply transferred to the new host, or do I have to do anything manually?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No, you have to manually move all content from one host to another..

Suggest you use FTP to connect to your current host, pull a copy of everything before making any dns changes. Once you have a hosting account, most will give you a temp connection so you can FTP your content up to the new location, then once the dns stuff takes effect, you'll connect FTP like you did to the old host.

Some hosting providers offer moving content as an added service, but most people are hesitant to give their account info out to the old host.

Remove Ads