Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I'm sure a lot of the fine members on this forum have been at this a long time like us and could write a book called Nightmares With Hosting Companies & Registrars.
    I was reading another forum tonight and saw this...The Worst Of The Worst and everyone in our office would agree with this. http://www.holisticwebmedia.com/2011...in-registrars/

If you're a newbie to web design, buying a domain name and looking for a company to host your site and before you do either, please read the reviews on the companies and ask questions. It could save you a lot of heartache and frustrations.

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.webhostingreviews.com/index.htm

Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As a WordPress developer, I am not able to create my ideal WordPress configuration on sites hosted with GoDaddy.
    That pretty well eliminated any possibility of me taking the guy's post seriously. A WordPress developer? That's like claiming you're a car mechanic because you do oil changes at a Jiffy Lube. Come on. Really?

I've used GoDaddy hosting in the past. Are they the best host out there? No. Are they the worst host out there? Not by a long shot. Other than their stupid SMTP caps, they're actually pretty decent, stable and reliable, so if you even need hosting support, you're either doing something wrong or they're having a bad day.

I also love when someone complains that a hosting plan costs $5.00 a month for a single domain name. Sure, there are hosts that charge much less. There are also hosts that suck much more and/or offer much less. You get what you pay for.

I haven't used Network Solutions hosting...but then again, I stopped using that company for anything of any sort at just about the time GoDaddy came out with domains. You know that company will screw you going in. That's been their angle for about the last 15 years. So if you're naive and/or stupid enough to use them as a host, you deserve to get bitten by the snake.

Then again, I wouldn't expect anything remotely intelligent from a company that uses its host as its registrar. You keep those two separate. That's web design 101 right there.

bleau: I don't blame you for posting the link. From the standpoint of someone who might not have had any experience with either company, it's good to know. It's just that this is a "company" that should know better...and I don't think it's a "company".

I'll leave the review sites for Webzarus to comment on. I'm sure he'll have a take if anyone will.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually commented on the review site here before, and as with most review sites out here on the intrawebs, there is usually a lot of bias ( for one reason or another ), and they tend to leave out anything that doesn't fit their opinions ( see definition of bias ), this particular website when mentioning prices, only compares godaddys mid priced packages against some cheaper host prices, so how can that be an honest comparison ? It can't, but they make their point and drive people in another direction ( which is their intended purpose complete ), I can only make a guess as to why, but personally don't care or put a lot of credence in most review sites. Most people don't know how to read reviews on the web, kinda like averaging a long line of numbers, throw out the top number, the bottom number, then avg the rest.

As for the personal review ( first link ), IT'S A BLOG POST. Enough said.

@game, I still not getting the keep your registrar and hosting seperate ??? I mean I know of what happened in the past, but have really never had any problems with any of the 5 or so registrars ( excluding NS many years ago ), as explained in another post, hundreds of clients moving to and from both domain name registrations and hosting ( with both hosting and registration on the same systems or with this on different systems ). I even had a registrar once assist me to move registration from a system that was locked ( the registrar was closed for financial reasons, but for about a week their users were not allowed transfers in or out ), but one of my other registrars was able to transfer it out anyway. Since my name was on the domain, they had no issue moving it, even though the other company had their users locked out.

I guess if you use 1 registrar, one hosting company and everything is in one place it could be a problem, but since I have stuff spread all over, and access to multiple registrars and hosting servers and dns servers...

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Thank you guys for your comments and I agree about review sites. Sometimes when you read some of them you can read through a lot of things by the owner-poster of the site. I didn't make the post and add that link to try and send people in another direction of either GD or Netsol.

We had to drop GD off our list of registrars and as a hosting company several years ago for poor hosting and lack of support, and a few other things. We don't use them anymore nor do any of our clients. Netsol, been around a long time and some of our corporate clients are with them and we've never had any problems with those accounts. Their support and uptime have always been some of the best for us.
    We've had some personal issues with them in the past but rectified all that when we transferred our tld business domain away from them, dropped our personal hosting with them and went with a company that has cpanel, Netsol does not and by them not having cpanel it's also beginning to cause some problems with our corporate accounts there. I would not try to discourage anyone not to use them but would let them know they don't have cpanel and some of the issues we had there.

We started today transferring two domains and one hosting package away from them because of pricing and more bang for the buck at half the price with another top company So, we'll see how the domain transfer goes and see if they try to stop it as they have done in the past. We're also separating the clients domain and new hosting package. The domain at a registrar and the hosting at another hosting company.

Due to some painful experiences many years ago having the registrar and hosting company under the same roof we keep them separated now. We control the domain at a registrar and do the hosting somewhere else. We, as the majority of designers do, recommend keeping the two separated for sound business practices.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's actually why I left the links alone...they clearly weren't yours, and I know you had good intentions. Like I said, no fault on you.

I have a setup very similar to Webzarus'. I use a couple of different registrars for my own stuff, my clients use several different registrars, and none of them are tied to the hosts. Again, you never know what will happen, and if a company disappears tomorrow, I'd rather lose one or the other but not both.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I actually don't do this intentionally, only when a customer or client ask, but many of my clients have NS corporate accounts ( have had them for years and have no desire to change), saving a few bucks on name registration is no biggie to them.

New clients get whatever is easiest for me if they have or don't ask.

Btw... I also have access to an authoritative DNS that I share with several others, so when I register a domain name, it point it to my name servers. From there I control where it points to. When I take on a client that has their own domain name, I request them to point to my name servers so when changes need to happen, I can Mae sure they are done correctly. Getting NS to make a dns change can be a pain ( depending on when it needs to happen ), this allows my clients to only have to deal with me on those issues Instead of relaying my request to registrars to make the change or god forbid them tinkering with dns changes. Makes my life much simplier, and if for some reason the registrar locks thier records, no big deal, I can still change the pointers as needed.

Remove Ads