Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Since I've read 3 post this morning about " good designer practice ", to keep your hosting and registrar on seperate systems, I would like to post the following question. Why ?

As anyone here knows me, my post can be quite verbose, but I try to explain my statements so there is no confusion as to what I post. I've only read 1 explanation to this comment from TheGame and understand why he feels this way, but what I'd really like to know are why others are making this statement based on business experiences that you have in the past.

No need to name names, just what happened. I've been doing this stuff for a very long time, worked with a lot of different registrars and hosting companies and have had my fair share of issues with both, but I guess I've been fortunate to have never had an issue involving hosting and having the domain name registered with the same company.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've never had any issues, ever, so I'm even more lost than you are. I use a host with registration for my own sites. I don't like GoDaddy, personally, but not because of any particularly bad experience. I just don't prefer the way their site is laid out, or their management interface.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Great...I've been singled out. Means I can't play in this thread.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 229606
    Not really. I'm just wondering if there's something I need to learn here. Since a problem hasn't presented itself, I may be missing something that could be huge down the road.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Basically, it's pretty simple (at least my take is)...if something happens to a host, you might lose your hosting plan and some of the data on it, which would suck. And this has happened to me in the past.

If something happens to a host that also happens to be your registrar, you might lose your domain AND your hosting plan. And that would REALLY suck.

I've also seen a registrar that went the way of the Dodo-ra have its assets seized by the FTC in 2004. All the domain records were frozen and eventually transferred over to DirectI, who totally botched the transfer. I had a single domain name that I registered on someone's behalf with them, and just watching that scenario unfold was enough for me to never want to tie my hosting can to a registrar (or vice versa). Fortunately in my case, the domain in question was registered on behalf of someone I suspected and turned out to be a complete buttbag, so watching him try to get his domain unlocked and transferred over was absolutely hysterical. Served as a pretty strong warning, though.
    bleau canon and AlphaMare like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I stated in my earlier post that we were transferring a domain from one registrar=host to another domain registrar. This company also has hosting with the same company and we've already published their site to their new host and waiting on the domain to be transferred to a registrar so we can change the nameservers to the new host.

Soon after my post I received and email from Namecheap saying the domain transfer had been stopped and denied by the other registrar- host. I talked to NC and they said I needed to contact the other registrar-host and find out why.

So, I call and get their weekend outsourced tech rep and she told me I would have to contact the registrar-host on Monday and discuss this with them since the domain was also hosted with them.
    Now I have to wait until Monday to probably get into a war of words to have them release the domain for transfer. This happens "every time" with this registrar=host when we try to transfer a domain out with the domain being hosted there also.

I can sit here for an hour and tell you the nightmares we've had with people using their host as their registrar also and tell you the 1000's of dollars lost to people because of that and not being able to transfer their domains away from their hosting companies.

I was raised in a family business that was established in 1946. I inherited the business and it's still going strong and will soon be given to our daughters and they will continue with it. One of the "main things" i was taught and has saved our business more than one time...do not put all your peas in the same bucket and keep money and business things separated so we can maintain control.

If you have a million dollars..are you going to put all that money in one bank or will you keep it in several banks so if there is a failure in one bank you can't get your money out of it you still have control over the rest of your money?

I'll repeat one more time...for sound business practices we keep domains and hosting separated.

PS. This is not a rant
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Please do tell some of the stories if you can take the time.

The only real issues that I've ever really heard of in transferring a domain name away from a registrar is when people try to transfer them within 30 days of registering the domain or 7 days prior to renewal, both of which are to minimize domain name squatting and and transfer scams.

If the registrar doesn't have an automated transfer and verification system ? Now if your terms of use agreement states that domain name registration and hosting are tied together somehow, please tell me who thes people are so we can all avoid them.

..... Still scratching my head ???

Thanks for the rehash Game... Puts perspective in this thread.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 229606
    You're not alone, Game.

Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 229627
    ... transferring a domain from one registrar=host to another domain registrar. This company also has hosting with the same company and we've already published their site to their new host and waiting on the domain to be transferred to a registrar so we can change the nameservers to the new host.

Soon after my post I received and email from Namecheap saying the domain transfer had been stopped and denied by the other registrar- host. I talked to NC and they said I needed to contact the other registrar-host and find out why.

I'll repeat one more time...for sound business practices we keep domains and hosting separated.

PS. This is not a rant
    I have a similar story.

I had a client who registered a couple of domains with Godaddy. Later, when their site was ready, they bought hosting there as well, and got a free domain name with it.

Six or eight months down the road they had registered the equivalent domains with a Canadian registrar as .ca domains, and wanted to move their domains to that registar in order for them to be all in one place. They paid GoDaddy for the "free" domain, as per the regulations, but GoDaddy kept giving reasons why they could not transfer it out.

This got them worried so they bought hosting at another host. At this point they involved me, and I don't know how many hours I spent typing explanatory e-mails and requests to GoDaddy, only to get replies that were so off-topic and full of gibberish that I actually laughed out loud at some of them. Until it got to be a real pain and frustrating as heck.

There were months of hassle and while the debate was going on, GoDaddy froze the domain so they could not point their DNS for that domain to their new host, while all the other domains were now pointing to the new host.

They were well outside the 30-day window for transfer freeze when it started, and well inside the 7-day exit limit, but by the time they finished then hassles had gone on so long that they had paid for a renewal of both the domain and the hosting.

I guess it only takes one bad experience - there are enough registrars and hosts out there that since then I always try to keep my domain registrations and hosting separate.
    bleau canon likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I'm on the fly right now but just wanted to back-up Alphamare's post. He's 100% correct about Godaddy...we've been there and done that with them, 1and1 and Netsol.

On our inhouse office server and database we have a section named Domain Nightmares.
    Later I'll pull up some of the experiences we've had and post them.

Godaddy sucks is a common thread in a lot of forums. If you want to see what even GD thinks of themselves and how paranoid they are check out this link and see where it carries you.

http://www.godaddysucks.com
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Our First Experience & Lesson Learned with Domain & Host Together.

In 2001 we took on a client with a small ecommerce site. He had register his domain with and bought hosting from a company called CI Host in Texas. We had the site for two weeks and was rebuilding and upgrading it for him He called one day and said his site had been down for two days and asked us to check on it for him. We told him he needed to come to the office and give us the rights to be able to do this which he did and was going to do anyway.

I called CI Host support and told them our client's site had been down for two days and we needed to know why and how to resolve any issues if there were any. Tech support transferred me to the billing department. Nothing should have been wrong there as we had checked and all fees to CI Host had been paid ahead of time and wasn't due again for 10 months including his domain name.

The girl told me it wasn't any billing problems and she would check on it and call me back which she didn't so I called her back later that same day. Here is where the run around began and it went on for two more days with the site still down. I hung up the phone and went on the hunt for who CI Host was buying their domains from and it was Network Solutions.

I called Network Solutions and talk to a very nice lady and asked her about his domain name and told her it had been bought through CI Host. She asked me to hold and when she came back to me she told me well I understand why his site is down and they're giving you the run around.
    They owe us several 1000 dollars and haven't paid us so we shut the domains down and his was one of them.

I asked her if we could pay for the domain name and get his site moved and back online. She said this couldn't be done because the domain would have to run it's 30 day course before it would be available for purchase again. I thanked her, hung up the phone and call CI Host back. The girl admitted to me then they had done exactly what Network Solutions had told me and offered our client $25.00 as an apology. That was an insult to injury and I hung up the phone.

I called our client and told him what I had found out and he almost had a faint and asked me what could we do to get his new site back online. I suggested we buy the .net and .org and for him to contact his customers and give them these domain addresses to his new site. We did this and then waited for the .com to become available again. The girl from Network Solutions call me and told me his .com would be release for sale the next day. I certainly thanked her and we were able to get it back the next day.

From that expensive learning experience we made it a company policy never to have domain-hosting together again. It still happens with new clients but we transfer the domain out of the hosting companies as fast as we can. Sometimes it goes smoothly and sometimes it's a nightmare.

I'll post a different experience with domain-host together later if anyone wants to hear it.
    Bleau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads