Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi, I'm UK based and looking to find a reliable web hosting company with excellent 24 hour customer service including online chat and the ability to make phone calls the them that don't cost the earth.

I've been with EUK Host for a while. They recently migrated my sites to another server without telling me resulting in my websites being down for 24 hours and emails were down for nearly 2 days. Their online chat is frustrating to put it mildly. They don't understand English very well at all and often suggest the problem is at my end when it clearly isn't.

I've just moved my web design site to dreamhost. The website is up fine but I just can't seem to get my emails working and the time they're taking to sort it out is unacceptable. I can't phone them and they don't seem to have online chat. Very frustrating!

Please can someone recommend a web host who will not leave me tearing my hair out at the end of the day!

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So are you looking for a hosting provider in the UK ( or that region ), or ?

What is your target market ? UK ? Global ?

It does make a difference, and as you are finding out, hosting can be one of those thing... " you get what you pay for "...

I'm also looking for a decent provider in the UK, a new client of mine is there and his target market is there... Been researching... Haven't found anything yet that has impressed me.

I would just put him on my servers, but since his market is there, I think he and his market would be best served from there. If I can't find any decent recommendations, I'll probably just put him on my servers.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230840
    So are you looking for a hosting provider in the UK ( or that region ), or ?

What is your target market ? UK ? Global ?

It does make a difference, and as you are finding out, hosting can be one of those thing... " you get what you pay for "...

I'm also looking for a decent provider in the UK, a new client of mine is there and his target market is there... Been researching... Haven't found anything yet that has impressed me.

I would just put him on my servers, but since his market is there, I think he and his market would be best served from there. If I can't find any decent recommendations, I'll probably just put him on my servers.
    My target is UK. I had such problems getting any quick response from dreamhost that I've switched back to EUK who I can at least call!

I wasn't aware that it was best to have a webhost in the country that your website serves. Why is that?

I think rackspace (www.rackspace.co.uk) may be a good uk host. Just something I've heard but I've never used them because I think they're quite expensive. But as you say, I guess you do get what you pay for. I'm just not at that stage where I can afford that yet!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The reason I prefer to host a site in at least the general region... My background is network security and infrastructure... So I'm no just " repeating something I've heard "...

Between rack space core servers and the UK are 14-16 core switches. Latency ( slowness ) of Internet traffic is determined by the "combined latency" between each of the switches. Not only that but switches are equipment, equipment fails, and although traffic is re-routed when there is a failure, you can't control the routing... In a perfect world, traffic would only be routed to the next fastest path... But it doesn't always work that way ...

If your hosting server is in the UK, then those failures don't affect you or your clients, or their target audience any any way... As pretty any of them may only hit 1-3 switches... With no intercontinental traffic...

I've seen latency between NY and France go as high as 600 ms and stay their for days... Affecting thousands if not millions of people's connections.

I had a client once in india, but insisted we host here in the US because india was notorious for having rolling blackouts... Against my better judgement I went along with his thinking... Needless to say... 90% of my calls were from him because the site was inaccessible.. Links were down .... Once when doing some checking... The major link between US AND EUROPE was so bad, traffic was being routed through Japan utilizing the Asian link... Yeah it works... But when your latency goes to over 1000ms ( 1 second ) for every request... People get frustrated, servers time out, etc

Ended up doing a mirror site with multiple DNS servers... Had a copy there and here... Depending on where you are in the world, you end up on the one that responds the quickest.

That's why I'm looking for a good host in the UK... Not going to just go with what people tell me, l'll do my own research when I have a couple of names. If you hear something somewhere... I'd appreciate it if you posted it here...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's all a lot clearer now! To be honest I didn't really know much about how they worked although I guess I should.

If I get a recommendation from anywhere else re reliable host company in the UK, I'll certainly let you know. Many thanks for explaining that, it's really useful to know.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You're welcome... But don't be surprised... There are probably a whole lot more people that don't know... As a designer, developer, this is about all you need to know and why... But if you get into high bandwidth syncs and multi location mirrors, there is a whole lot more.. I still learn things daily ...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    @Pink Spider
    So as of now you are still with EUK?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I know you want UK, but if you want to use US hosting I'd recommend HostGator.com

No I don't work for them :P

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Ever thought of getting a VPS instead of just shared or reseller hosting? Or cloud VPS where you can scale up and down during high traffic times. And also the fact you can have your own server setup without paying $100's a month for a dedicated solution. I'd recommended finding a managed box so they can atleast help you set it up. Right now I use rocketvps.com, but it's unmanaged. http://www.knownhost.com is their sister site with 100% managed. Haven't has not one bit of down time. Any questions let me. Best of luck finding the right provider!

Rack space has a good track record. Just very very pricey.
    Design inspiration is all around
    you just have to open your eyes.
    www.pizzolo.me
    New Jersey Website Design - Eric@Pizzolo.me

Member #
    If i may.. i am a website developer and after handing a few hundred clients over to various hosting companies i clued in that maybe i should resell for a few.. well .. i went through godaddy, dreamhost, hostgator.. which was the best in hind sight.. i ended up leasing a dedicated server off of peer1. not that im trying to sell to peer1 to you but the resellers for peer1 all get the added bonus (or at least they used to.. i have my own now and have since grown) of using the actual peer1 staff for their 24hr support.. as a reseller that was very handy because i never had to deal with third party requests .. ssl's and email problems..

if i was dealing with only one site.. or just a few sites i would actually find a reseller for them .. just ask where the hosting company keeps their servers. plus they can give you a great deal because they have the space. all you need to do is email them and say hey can you host my site for like 50 bucks a year? i bet most would say sure!. im not sure if they (peer1) offer regular web hosting to the layman yet you will (or anyone else) need to check that out..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads