Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    The situation: a client who had someone put up a site for her back in 2006 has decided she needs an update. She owns three domain names - the .net.com and .ca for the same prefix.

Her hosting was costing her buckets and so we've moved her over to a new host, pointed the DNS that way, and put up a placeholder countdown page on the .com domain.

Right now the .ca and .net are pointed at the .com, with no content in them at all.

We'll be putting up a WordPress site for her on the .com domain. Can we just leave the 301's in place for the other two domains? I have heard some where that this will adversely affect the SEO, but the idea of duplicating the site on all the domains seems a worse one to me.

I've never had to do something like this before, and all the stuff I've googled about it is so contradictory, I'm stuck. Anybody got any information on this?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    301 redirects are intended to inform search engines that content has "permanently" moved to a new location so the search engine can update it's indexes of the move.

Yes ther is an unintended circumstance of moving users to the content, but the main purpose of a 301 or 302 redirect is to inform search engines... Once a search engine has encountered on, they should not ever request that page again, and unless the site is heavily bookmarked, users really can't benefit from them.

As for SEO friendly, this is actually the only SEO freiendly way that I am aware of. When moving sites, content, or site structure. Again, the intended purpose of 301 and 302 redirects is to INFORM search engines of the move so they can update thier indexes.

As for handling request for multiple domains to the same content, unless the site and content has been indexed in the path, and the pages are still showing up in search results... 301's shouldn't be necessary.

If they are not showing up in search results, then a mod rewrite rule in the .htaccess file would be the preferred method of making sure that only 1 domain is being indexed for the content. ( yes, duplicate content issues arise if you have multiple domain names associated with the same content ), having multiple domain names pointed at the same location is fine... But google, bing and yahoo all penalize each site equally for duplicate content .. So forcing them to only index the content associated with only 1 domain extension is actually a good thing.

Hope this helps...

Btw... 301's and how they are handled are best put in place before a content is being moved... I always try and plan out content and site structure changes a couple of months in advance, so when the search engines see the host change ( yes, they see it ), they don't automatically stop indexing until they send thier discovery bot back...if they see a series of 301's or change in the robots meta tags, your site will be flagged to keep indexing regardless of the mass changes that always happen during a site move. If they don't see you preparing the site for a move before hand, they are likely to suspend indexing right after the move until they get a discovery crawler in to check the site for structure changes.

Google is pretty good about doing all this seemlesy... Yahoo.. Bing... Not so much.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 231452
    As for SEO friendly, this is actually the only SEO freiendly way that I am aware of. When moving sites, content, or site structure. Again, the intended purpose of 301 and 302 redirects is to INFORM search engines of the move so they can update thier indexes.
    That's good to know - I had figured that this was the case but again - confusing info floating around...
    If they are not showing up in search results, then a mod rewrite rule in the .htaccess file would be the preferred method of making sure that only 1 domain is being indexed for the content. ( yes, duplicate content issues arise if you have multiple domain names associated with the same content ), having multiple domain names pointed at the same location is fine... But google, bing and yahoo all penalize each site equally for duplicate content .. So forcing them to only index the content associated with only 1 domain extension is actually a good thing.
    They haven't shown up in search results since the beginning. The oroginal site was done in frames, with no keywords, description - nothing. And I absolutely don't want to run into the duplicate content issue at all.
    Btw... 301's and how they are handled are best put in place before a content is being moved... I always try and plan out content and site structure changes a couple of months in advance, so when the search engines see the host change ( yes, they see it ), they don't automatically stop indexing until they send thier discovery bot back...if they see a series of 301's or change in the robots meta tags, your site will be flagged to keep indexing regardless of the mass changes that always happen during a site move. If they don't see you preparing the site for a move before hand, they are likely to suspend indexing right after the move until they get a discovery crawler in to check the site for structure changes.
    So, having moved to new host, set the primary domain and made 301's from the other two, and replacing the old site's content with a placeholder page for the next few days while I migrate the new site from my development server to the new host, I guess I'm all set for now. The next step will be getting the search engines to notice the new site, but I'm taking it one step at a time.

Thanks so much for your help - you're very good at clearly explaining the "inner workings" of things!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads