Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I live in Germany but do not speak German. I got hosting from a German company strato.de in which everything is in German. Combined with my lack of experience in web world, I cannot see how I can transfer my pages. I have an FTP account and I think the default directory for 'index.php' (or CMS content) should be home directory of the user. So, when I make the stuff ready and transfer it directly, it should work? Oh, I forgot to say that the domain registration is also with Strato.de. I see that one should change the 'records' in DNS area if one uses a different hosting company. But my stupid question is, how does it work when domain name and hosting are from the same company?

thanks in advance!

onumedoka

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    when in doubt, http://translate.google.com/
    And why not just use US hosting if you know English.
    ??

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you purchased hosting from the same place you registered the domain name... The DNS pointers should already be setup for you...

I take it they don't have a control panel with a "en" translator... Sorry... Most decent hosting providers do have something, you may have to call them on the phone and explain.. If they have someone that speaks English... Perhaps thy can adjust your account settings from their end to display English.

@shovenose... I suspect since his domain is registered. .de and host hosting is there, his target market is there, so no real sense to to use US based hosting, but if his target market is US BASED, then it probably wouldn't hurt...

Some hosting companies have a 30 day money back ( not all) so in case you find out its really more technically challenging than expected... You can get out ... Domain names are final ... No money back on them ever...

I don't think google translate will with with an SSL connection, but it's worth a try. Not going to help with text in images though.

Member #
    I tried UK hosting and they do not sell 'domain' or 'hosting' to Europe. I did not think of US companies, simply I did not know they would be OK to sell service to European residents. Anyways, I have domain/hosting already paid now. May be next time

Thanks for the link, I already know that. But, it may give total nonsense at times. My only problem is not German. I am completely new to the 'making of website'. My question is about transferring my stuff via FTP to the server. I am guessing if the domain and hosting are from the same company, FTP should take files directly to the home directory, i.e., where index.php should be looked for. So, one should not need to set up IP addresses in DNS records fields. Is that true?

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus! This is what I wanted to know.

I hope it works and I do not have to call the technical service. (English speaking people at technical services in Germany are not so easy to find.)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 232676
    Domain names are final ... No money back on them ever...
    Dynadot will give you almost full credit back if you return a domain within a few days

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by onumedoka, post: 232678
    Thanks Webzarus! This is what I wanted to know.

I hope it works and I do not have to call the technical service. (English speaking people at technical services in Germany are not so easy to find.)
    Just ask "Sprechen sie English?" or something...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually, your FTP connection will more than likely "not"... Connect to your "web visible" directory...

Most FTP that I have ever connected to... Have a directory inside your "root" directory called , "public" ,"www_docs", "ht_docs" ... Or something like that to put the files you want to make visible to the web...

Many have extra folders at the root level... Like CGI-bin , DB, etc... For things that you need on the site but don't want them visible from a web page.

Remove Ads