Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    HI guys,
    I am new to the forum. I am looking to make a website for my photography business. And I have never built a site before. I am going to have lots of questions, and take good advantage of tutorials here and other places...
    But... the first step... is registering my domain, and obtaining a web host.

I have read here and other places, to register my domain with somebody OTHER than my hosting company. If I go that route, I am looking at Namecheap.com. It looks like a .com will be $10.69/year. Is there a better place to go?

So, for hosting, I am looking at: Fatcow, GoDaddy, and HostGator.
    I know I need certain things... site building tools. I have never built a site, and need to know which company has the most user friendly building and maintanance tools.
    They all basically have unlimited bandwith... and only GoDaddy really has limits for disk space.

I am stumped, because looking at their sites is like comparing apples, oranges, and cucumbers.
    Can you guys give me some direction?

THanks

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    If your objective is learning how to build websites, then building from scratch is a great idea.

But if your objective is to get a website up and running quickly and cheaply to start selling photos, why not start with a free WordPress blog/site - you can sign up at WordPress.com. If you like the site, you can then upgrade to a paid account (I'm not sure of the actual cost but it's cheap) which gives you more template options, and gives you the option of using your own domain name.

Another option is a blogger.com blog/site. Also free.

You can also download a trial version of Artisteer (artisteer.com). The trial is free to see if you like it. If you like it, it will cost you around $100 or so. Artisteer will let you design themes for Joomla, Drupal, Blogger, Wordpress, and more without any knowledge of HTML or CSS.

Note that I recommend options like these for start-up businesses that don't yet have a marketing budget. Established businesses should invest in a website that is professionally designed. Well designed websites yield a high return on the investment.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You should compare Namchep's domain registration price with Enom, Godaddy, and Eurodns also don't forget to find out discount coupons. For web hosting, you can choose any one of them excluding the one who shoots Elephants . Ask each of them whether they offer softaculous auto script installer with hosting package or not. For your information, through softaculous you can build your photography website pretty quickly, as it supports more than 250 scripts, including Image Galleries scripts.

Member #
    Where is the best place to find discount coupons

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am in a similar situation {not a web designer myself}, but taught myself how to create a website more than 10 years ago. With the new content management systems such as Wordpress, it is much easier to get a nice looking website going. As someone already mentioned, Worpress is pretty good. I like it because of the simplicity for adding additional content and keeping the website updated.

Regarding registrar: I would pick Godaddy, they have 30%+ of the market, and reasonable pricing.
    For hosting, I would not recommend Godaddy. They have a custom interface, I think you want a host that gives you regular cpanel access instead of having to deal with Godaddy's custom panel. I run my site with more than 10,000 monthly unique visitors in a Hostgator "baby" shared account, and it runs very smooth. Then again, I run a text based website with low bandwidth requirement per page. I have no experience with namecheap or fatcow.

You also need to go into this with reasonable expectations. Do not expect the website to be much of a business generator, but as a place to showcase your work. Let's say that you are a wedding photographer, you put the website on your card so that people can see samples of your work. But the truth is that you need to get out there and hand those cards. Or you need to advertise online so that people actually visit the site. If you expect business to increase just because you have a website, well it does not work like that. You will need to promote the website by doing search engine optimization or paying for advertising.

If you do end up doing this yourself, it can be fun. However, it will be time consuming. You might want to consider hiring someone to give you a hand.
    It's good to be back on the forums!
    Click here to visit my newly updated loan advice site

Remove Ads