Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    What may surprise you is that many of the hosting companies you may have used, thinking they were seperate, are really owned by EIG.
    Here is a list of known EIG companies which masquerade as independent companies:

AccountSupport
    ApolloHosting
    BizLand
    BlueDomino
    BlueHost
    DomainHost
    Dot5Hosting
    EasyCGI
    eHost
    EntryHost
    FastDomain
    FatCow
    FreeYellow
    HostCentric
    HostClear
    HostMonster
    HostYourSite
    HyperMart
    IMOutdoorsHosting
    iPage
    Ipower
    IPowerWeb
    Justhost
    Netfirms
    NetworksHosting
    PowWeb
    PureHost
    ReadyHosting
    Spry
    StartLogic
    SuperGreenHosting
    USANetHosting
    VirtualAvenue
    VPSLink
    Webstrikesolutions
    Xeran
    YourWebHosting

The bottom line: these companies are all known for low quality hosting. Avoid!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Nice man, whats funny is a lot of them seemed very comparable to one another down to even their writing lol... I use Hostmonster and I noticed they were the same as Bluehost.

I have never had any issues with Hostmonster. What should I look out for?? My site is never down or had any issues and I have had it for 5 years or so. I have only ever had issues with Doteasy Host provider.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 234589
    What may surprise you is that many of the hosting companies you may have used, thinking they were seperate, are really owned by EIG....
    HostMonster
    Netfirms
    The bottom line: these companies are all known for low quality hosting. Avoid!
    I'd really like to know your sources for the "low-quality" determination in your post. I don't care who the parent company is, as long as the hosting works for me.

I've used Hostmonster (on your list) for years, both for myself and for clients. I register my domains elsewhere, but for hosting I think they're just fine, and I really like their tech support.

I've had serious problems with Netfirms (also on your list), as well as Blacksun, and Sibername and would not recommend them to anyone (I have no enemies that I know of - I might recommend them if I had...).
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Is there a little bit of bias or ulterior motive with owning your own hosting site?? Do you have a "source" like AM asked? I haven't had any issues with Hostmonster either and I have 4 different sites using them and just signed up another client today.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I've seen similar list... Bashing just about every hosting provider...

Usually they spout "non-consequential" facts... That only people looking for first time hosting might not completely understand...

And there is almost always an agenda behind the post... I've yet to read a review on hosting that didn't have a secondary purpose besides " providing information for the masses "...

I'd actually like to see some "fact based" , "unbiased" reviews on hosting providers.. Many that are out there tout the "great support"... We'll short of 1 phone call and probably 3 emails... In 15 years... Support is not a selling factor for me... If they "the hosting companies" are doing their job correctly... I should never have to contact them, Right ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As much as I've had issues with a few of the hosts on that list (I haven't had a chance to "experience" them all, I have to call shenanigans here too.

First of all, who is EIG? I've never heard of EIG before.
    Second, where/how was this list compiled? Where can we go and look to see where this information is?
    Third, where can people go to see unbiased reviews, as Webzarus pointed out, of these "low quality hosts"? Again, I know some of them are based on first-hand experience (Netfirms is an absolute joke in particular), but I don't see sources.

As far as contacting hosts goes, I actually contact mine fairly frequently (as in at least once every month or so) because my specific set of circumstances dictate that I have to. I have a dedicated server with my host, two of my clients do as well, and several have their own shared accounts (there are reasons for all of this, but it's not my business to get into them). So support is a selling factor for me ,and a big one. But everyone does it differently.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Sources? Well, i heard it from some person on WHT. Also, look here:
    http://www.webhostpark.com/eig-hosting/
    I actually didn't htink of the fact when I posted this, that I own a host
    Here is one person who says it, there's a more complete list in one of the other threads...
    Edit I think this is it:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...8&postcount=28

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, you gotta be careful with WHT. That board is one of the most notorious host slaggers going. The only good thing about is any host that receives a positive recommendation from the board has to be good, because the members hate pretty much anyone operating a server on there.

A lot of the "evidence" that's gathered is spotty and circumstantial as well. It could be true...I'm not saying it isn't. There just isn't really enough to draw any sort of a conclusion from yet.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I agree with the GAME, the first article proves that EIG has a lot of money and is investing in all sorts of Host companies, good for them. I can only go by my own experience and I haven't had anything bad happen with Hostmonster so I will continue to recommend them to my clients.
    AlphaMare and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    One of the really sad things that's been happening for years when it comes to hosting review sites is the FACT that most create an aggregate score about support based on overall complaints. Forget the context of the complaints... They just count ANY negative comment ...

So how many host provide scripting support, or assist users when they screw up their code, or don't understand where to put their files on their account ?

I was with one of the host on the list... Years ago, they actually did have a forum for users, because they were a hosting company, it was made very clear that they don't provide support for scripting languages, HTML coding issues, etc... But 90% of the post on the forum dealt with those issues...

So many times people would actually rant and rave about crappy support because something related to their code wasn't working... Nothing to do with hosting... DNS issues... Somthing else outside of he hosting companies control.. But people not understanding that were complaining constantly about how long it would take for a new domain to show up...

I suspect the 2 companies ( sites listed above ).. They fall into the category of having a hidden agenda.

I have no facts to back that up, and really don't care enough to dig... But I've seen enough from them over the years... In my book, not all there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads