Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Privacy Issues

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was just wondering, Does anyone have a Web Hosting that has Privacy without having to pay extra?
    When I set my hosting up, I used Fake info for Contacts, Admin, Technical, etc. Well, Someone had Issues with that and reported it to Godaddy. Godaddy charged me $19.95 for that Issue. Talked to godaddy and of course they can set me up to Private with additional monthly charges. Whatever happened to Customer Privacy?
    So anyhow, I had to put Legit info in all those just so I can get slammed by Telemarketers and Spammed emails.
    Cant believe GoDaddy Supports Spammers now.
    Anyhow, I'm VERY Unhappy with them Now. I asked them, 'So Even if I had Legit Info in my Contacts and someone STILL had Issues with my Info, are you guys going to $19.95 me to death?'
    They said, YEP.
    I said, why Not Charge the people who has the Issues?
    They said, Why dont you Fix the Issue
    I said, well you just told me if I had legit info, I can still get charged. Can't fix something thats NOT Broken.
    If someone has Issues and I have Legit Info, How can I fix it?
    No Response. (What a Shocker)

Word of Advice, AVOID GODADDY.
    Now I'm looking to Transfer Everything (Domain/Hosting ) to another Location. Fun.......

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's not a godaddy rule... Its an ICANN rule, they just have to enforce it.

ICANN requires a legitimate name and way to contact on your registration... Anyone telling you differently is lying to you.

http://www.icann.org/

Most registrars have a mechanism for "domains by proxy"... Displaying their info on the record, but if someone tries to contact you ( say ICANN ), they forward the communication.

They actually did you a service by asking you to change it and put legit info... ( they didn't have to, they aren't required to ).... They could have just cancelled your domain registration ( their terms of service when you registered the domain name clearly states that )....

Not to defend godaddy, but there are so many people out there slamming them without understanding how all this works ( the big picture )...

I've have domains registered at several registrars over the years... I have a different email address for each one... And I can tell you I have only received 2 spam mails from the email address I use for godaddy... Why... Because thy actually do monitor who is accessing their Whois DB... If more than 2 request from the same ip address happen within a few minutes.. They enforce a capcha script... To ensure its a human... If the request for domains held in their DB are coming from other Whois servers... They will actually not display contact info... But a generic message to visit their site to get more information.

I still have ( and manage ) many domains on other registrars... And I get slammed with spam every day from them...

Good luck finding a registrar that will allow you to not provide real contact info... If whomever sees it again, that registrar may not give you the chance to provide it... They might just enforce their rule to " reclaim " the domain name... And charge you their "extra fees" to reclaim it...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Btw... When it comes to "customer privacy"... It doesn't exist where ICANN is involved...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, you're talking about a domain name, not hosting. If you're combining web hosting and domain name registration, you're asking for trouble...I wouldn't even do that with a company like GoDaddy that appears to keep the two departments separate. Note: I have no issue with GoDaddy. I just keep these two things separate for my own peace of mind.

There are a few domain registrars that allow for a privacy option, such as Sibername. It doesn't mask the email...that's the bad news. The good news is that you can use a different email account to sign up with them than you do for your domains. Here's how I do it:

My account is (legitimate-email-address)@(domain).
    My domain registration email (the one I couldn't care less about) is (go-ahead-and-spam-this-i-do-not-give-a-damn)@(another domain).

Spammers see the second, and they can dump whatever they want it. My account info is tied to the first, so payments, renewal notices, etc. get tied to it. Problem solved.

They're actually a pretty decent company to deal with too. They're not big, but I've talked to the techs a few times and they're pretty on the ball.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi Wynn455,

I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with the claim against your WHOIS information. I did want to clarify that we will only charge our customer if there is in fact incorrect information found in their WHOIS.

We are required to validate all claims made against our customers and do take it very seriously.

This is why we offer all of our customers the Domains By Proxy service. This is a legal ICANN approved way to protect your personal information from would-be spammers crawling the WHOIS database. If you sign up for DBP, you then have the option to forward any emails sent to yourdomain.com@domainsbyproxy.com to another address.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Gabe,

Pretty cool to hear from the GoDaddy people on this.

I do have an issue, however, and it's the reason I recommended Sibername over you guys. You guys charge extra for a service that Sibername offers for free, which means that effectively your privacy measures cost more than Sibername's. If you guys were even with them as far as price was concerned, I'd probably recommend you over them (not that I have any issue with Sibername, but I do think you guys do a good job as well).

Ideally, you'd allow DBP for free, since people do have a basic right to privacy, although I do understand why you charge (it's an add-on service and you guys have always operated that way, which makes sense.) But again, I'd personally like to see you guys be price-competitive on a domain with privacy with Sibername.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 235513
    Hi Gabe,

Pretty cool to hear from the GoDaddy people on this.

I do have an issue, however, and it's the reason I recommended Sibername over you guys. You guys charge extra for a service that Sibername offers for free, which means that effectively your privacy measures cost more than Sibername's. If you guys were even with them as far as price was concerned, I'd probably recommend you over them (not that I have any issue with Sibername, but I do think you guys do a good job as well).

Ideally, you'd allow DBP for free, since people do have a basic right to privacy, although I do understand why you charge (it's an add-on service and you guys have always operated that way, which makes sense.) But again, I'd personally like to see you guys be price-competitive on a domain with privacy with Sibername.
    Thank you for the feedback. You are correct in the fact that privacy is very important. We do have ways of getting the privacy for free (registering 5 or more domains at the same time) and also have ways of getting discounted privacy. If price is an issue though, I do understand your view.
    Thank you as well for explaining some of ICANN's policy.

Remove Ads