Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Buddy needs a quick site and I opted to host it for him on my web server but I don't know of a quality place to get a free domain name. Any ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nada, none... Doesn't exist... No such thing as free domain names

Possibly free "sub domain names"... Or free with the use of their hosting but that generally means they are running ADS on the site... Or if you go to renew... It's no longer free... Or free with purchase of a hosting package... Registrars have to pay for domain name usage, and that cost is passed on somehow... Never really free...

If he needs something free... Give him a sub domain on your site.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You could theoretically get a .tk domain name for him, but that's pretty ghetto.

A .com? It's about $10 a year. He should be able to swing that. If he can't, he's got some problems.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yeah $10 a year isn't much you really should be able to afford a domain name. otherwise you can get a free site at wordpress.com
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Yeah $10 a year isn't much you really should be able to afford a domain name. otherwise you can get a free site at wordpress.com
    uggg, I hate wordpress with their overly bloated code. If its that bad, host from your computer and get a .tk, but really man?
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Noteleklabs, post: 237271
    uggg, I hate wordpress with their overly bloated code. If its that bad, host from your computer and get a .tk, but really man?
    Dude, you must not speak evil of Wordpress. Wordpress is great. It's awesome. Everyone uses it. It does all this stuff if you just get a bunch of plugins for things that the average developer could code in half the time and much more efficiently. The security holes aren't a factor...anymore...yet...yeah, they are. But ignore those. Ignore upgrading your Wordpress install once a month and dealing with plugins that are no longer compatible and all the other crap that you wouldn't have to do if you just built the site correctly in the first place. Wordpress is the awesomest of all the awesomes...now drink the blue Kool-Aid and convert yourself to a Wordpressian.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Dude, you must not speak evil of Wordpress. Wordpress is great. It's awesome. Everyone uses it. It does all this stuff if you just get a bunch of plugins for things that the average developer could code in half the time and much more efficiently. The security holes aren't a factor...anymore...yet...yeah, they are. But ignore those. Ignore upgrading your Wordpress install once a month and dealing with plugins that are no longer compatible and all the other crap that you wouldn't have to do if you just built the site correctly in the first place. Wordpress is the awesomest of all the awesomes...now drink the blue Kool-Aid and convert yourself to a Wordpressian.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    try .co.cc but they arnt great
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Domain names are cheap as chips

Go to Network Solutions they are doing an offer. 1.84 for a domain name. Cant really go wrong, can you?

[EDIT: Link drop removed by TheGAME1264. Please read the forum rules first. Thank you.]

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually NS is notorious for this scam, sell it cheap, but their renewal fees are outrageously high.

Look for a domain name seller that offers long term pricing, then compare to the cheap first year, and inflated renewal fees... You'll almost always come out better with a 5+ year registration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads