Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hosting Server

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Hi All,

Not sure if anyone can help. But I have been asked by my firm to look for a decent webserver that we can use to host around 5 - 20 sites. Does anyone know of a decent spec? It will be running Linux xamp instead of WAMP.

Any help would be most appreciated as I am a bit of a noob at specing.

-m3
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    That's not a whole lot of info.
    However, a dual core CPU, and 4GB of RAM, would be plenty for a small amount of sites. I would recommend Debian (in non-graphical mode) and ISPConfig 3 if you need a light, quick server with an ugly but functional control panel...

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 237510
    That's not a whole lot of info.
    However, a dual core CPU, and 4GB of RAM, would be plenty for a small amount of sites. I would recommend Debian (in non-graphical mode) and ISPConfig 3 if you need a light, quick server with an ugly but functional control panel...
    No we will be going professional. The company I work for is a cloud host but are going into the website realm too. I say 5 - 20 as that's the amount of sites we currently have, but by the middle of the year it could be a hell of a lot more.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Personally I use Dell power edge servers... I have 6 currently on a 3 year rotation ( 2 per year )...

The one I use as a web server ( currently )... Is a T110 II ... Xenon quad turbo, 8 gigs ram ( started with 4 )... 2 500gb stata ( raid 1 )... A single 500gb drive for the OS. 4 Nics ( one internal, one management, 2 teamed together for external )...

You can order it from dell with Linux pre-installed.. Or bare and install yourself ( I don't think Linux is an option from their web site, but if you call, they can get it setup that way )...

I know guys that are running in the range of 500+ websites on this setup ( Linux )... No more than 100 if you're windows OS...unless you're running server 2008 (webservices).. That specific OS is trimmed down.. So you can actually run 2-300 sites with normal traffic request... I personally would not go much over that..

Servers are just one piece of the pie though... You should have a scalable network connection as well... A fixed t1 would struggle once you get over 40-50 sites that are actually getting traffic. Should look at a t1m where they can tie multiples together... At least bonded t1's to get your available through put over 2Mps

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 237539
    Personally I use Dell power edge servers... I have 6 currently on a 3 year rotation ( 2 per year )...

The one I use as a web server ( currently )... Is a T110 II ... Xenon quad turbo, 8 gigs ram ( started with 4 )... 2 500gb stata ( raid 1 )... A single 500gb drive for the OS. 4 Nics ( one internal, one management, 2 teamed together for external )...

You can order it from dell with Linux pre-installed.. Or bare and install yourself ( I don't think Linux is an option from their web site, but if you call, they can get it setup that way )...

I know guys that are running in the range of 500+ websites on this setup ( Linux )... No more than 100 if you're windows OS...unless you're running server 2008 (webservices).. That specific OS is trimmed down.. So you can actually run 2-300 sites with normal traffic request... I personally would not go much over that..

Servers are just one piece of the pie though... You should have a scalable network connection as well... A fixed t1 would struggle once you get over 40-50 sites that are actually getting traffic. Should look at a t1m where they can tie multiples together... At least bonded t1's to get your available through put over 2Mps
    Thanks Web that's most helpful Ive forwarded it to my boss. We don't have t1 or 2mbps, according to my boss we have a 1GB connection as we deal with cloud hosting and other sides of the shed. But I think that's what we might go for. Cheers!

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1gb typically only translates to your connection speed... Not throughput.

You may indeed have a 1Gb connection ... But somewhere you internal network meets a connection to the Internet or another network... This is where external connection must pass all the bandwidth choked together ... Typically this woul be your control router... Most average business routers have a single input and single output... Your throughput is measured at this point.

A typical full T1 is capable of 1.54 Mbps ... A bonded T1 is capable of the low 3Mbps.

Fiber connections start at 3-5 Mbps and go upwards of 30Mbps depending on what you want to spend.

I know someone right now paying close to 3k a month of a 10Mps fiber connection from their carrier...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    If you go Dell, talk to their sales team. They'll bend over backwards to get you the right rig. Going physical or virtual? If the company's serious about this, they could invest in a blade server.

me3n0tu18, what's your role there?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 237574
    If you go Dell, talk to their sales team. They'll bend over backwards to get you the right rig. Going physical or virtual? If the company's serious about this, they could invest in a blade server.

me3n0tu18, what's your role there?
    I was chatting with the Boss about it and its all based off of virtual servers and virtual ram etc which is quite interesting. They have a data-house somewhere in London supporting approx 150 servers for different operations - the company is much bigger than I initially thought it was which is good I'm the webdesigner/dev there.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    150 physical or virtual servers, or a mix?

Kinda odd that they had a web des/dev look into it instead of their IT guys. Have you built out physical / virtual servers before?

Normally a company would have their IT staff coordinate with their data house / colo and its NOC to assess current physical / virtual space, current / future network availability, and coordinate that with Dell / HP / whomever to find the best solution. At least down here, Dell looooves to come out for free to just do lunch, or talk about upcoming tech, or do whole assessments.

One place I worked for had a combo of physical and virtual servers (160+) over 7 in-house racks. If they were willing to spend the cash it could all have been squeezed down into one 12U blade server, and with a blade slot (or 2) to spare.

If they ever need an IT consultant I know some in the USA (aside from myself of course, eheh), UK, Europe, Australia, and a couple other corners of the globe. Some are just Microsoft, others are just networking (1 friend has set up a couple of ISP core networking structures to handle the bandwidth of their country), others concentrate on VMs, and others are jack of all trades.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 237581
    150 physical or virtual servers, or a mix?

Kinda odd that they had a web des/dev look into it instead of their IT guys. Have you built out physical / virtual servers before?
    To be honest I am not quite sure. I know we have a datacenter but don't know the scale of it.

I know what you mean there, I have had experience pricing up a server, but not specifically to this scale, so maybe that's why they got the idea to ask me for a decent spec.

View my company Website

Remove Ads