Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,

This may be a stupid question but i'm gonna ask it anyway, also not sure if this is in the right forum section. Can a site be tested in a browser without pointing a domain name to the files?

I am still learning and am working on my own personal site and would like to test it in a real online environment as I go along instead of just opening in different size browser windows, but at the same time I don't want to point any domain name and publish it for the public to see until it's ready. I tried browser stack which offers testing direct from the files on your hard drive, but I have had issues for months setting up the tunnel.

I need are real way to see what my code produces in a live browser connecting to a server.

Thanks

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    free hosting, while lousy, from something like 000webhost, just until you get it finished, would work
    smedz28 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If youre planning on using a Linux server to take advantage of PHP...

Try installing WAMP ( provided youre on a windows machine) LAMP if you are on a Linux machine... Both install the apache web server just like most hosting environments... And pretty simple to setup...

Then test as http://localhost

If your planning on using asp or asp.net as a scripting language... You can setup IIS ( Internet information services )... It's an add on that should be on your install disk or in your install files if you don't have the setup disk.

If you're just planning on running a basic static site ( .htm or .html file extensions )... Analogx.com has a free simple webserver that can handle static files... Simple to install...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the replies, I will have a look into that. I take it then as far as the domain name is concerned I don't need to have one at this stage then?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not if youre running on your own local machine...

If you get one of the "free" web hosting accounts, they will provide a name for you to connect with... But yes it will be visible to anyone...

If you're not wanting that... Your only real option is hosting it on your own machine...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Cool, I may just take the plunge an put in on a free hosting plan just to see it in development. I just didn't want everyone to the the glitches that still have to be worked out and some pages haven't even been started yet.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just remember... If you put it out there... People CAN see it... If you keep it on a local server... Only you can see it....

Personally... I do all my pre-work on a local server... Then move to a beta server... Once it gets to the point of adding content... But everything else is working... But i still block search engines until I move the code to go live...

Member #
    If your'e using adobe dreamweaver cs5/6 you can use CSLive to test youre site, whitch emulates your site as if it was on a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL and PHP) server.

Best of Luck,

James

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smedz28, post: 238062
    Cool, I may just take the plunge an put in on a free hosting plan just to see it in development. I just didn't want everyone to the the glitches that still have to be worked out and some pages haven't even been started yet.
    In my experience 000Webhost is the best free webhost, as it provides you with afree subdomain.

James,

Remove Ads