Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: web host

Member #
    Like to get some opinions on web hosts. I currently use HostDone (.com). I confess they've been dependable. I'd like to know a bit more about their limitations however; their site is heavy on the jargon and I can't quite decipher it (for example, I'm not clear on their tos for multiple domain names under 1 account. I assume as long as you stay within your allotted disk space you there's no additional charge...but I get charged each time...)

Hope you guys can offer some insights? Much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Why Cheap Hosting!

I see a header like that, I run screaming in terror.

But no wonder you're confused. I love this part in particular.
    If any invoice is not paid within forty five (30) days after the date of the invoice, HostDone may charge Customer a late fee of $20.00.
    I'm guessing they found their lawyer at a Wal-Mart next to the seasonal items. That math just doesn't compute.

And of course, there's this, which isn't significant in and of itself since it's "legalese"...but if you look closely at the phrase, you'll see an obvious typo and a grammatical error.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?rlz=1C1A...w=1144&bih=984

So in all likelihood, what you're dealing with here is a crappy budget host that will probably end up screwing you over if you don't get your stuff off of it right away. You're lucky they haven't yet.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There's way too many decent hosting providers that make their money hosting instead of screwing someone over...

Here's the deal... You should only purchase hosting on a yearly basis... Unless your site is really popular, you shouldn't be exceeding 2gb a month... If so our hosting provider should have a mechanism to "upgrade"... And notify of your bandwidth usage is going to be exceeded.

Stay away from any host that offers monthly billing and fees for late payments...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, I don't often disagree with you on things, but I have to disagree with you on this. I'd only use a host that offers monthly billing...I would never use a host that doesn't. The reason is if anything should go south, I don't want to be committed to a service 6 months into a 1-year contract that isn't performing. Yes, most hosts offer pro-rated refunds, but trying to get a pro-rated refund on a service like that is a serious pain in the ***, even with "reputable" hosting companies like HostGator.

You get a good hosting company, then yeah, go ahead and prepay for a few months or a year at a time if you can afford it...many give discounts that make doing so worthwhile. But don't pot commit to a host unless you've used them yourself and you're sure you know what they're all about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 238617
    Dude, I don't often disagree with you on things, but I have to disagree with you on this. I'd only use a host that offers monthly billing...I would never use a host that doesn't. The reason is if anything should go south, I don't want to be committed to a service 6 months into a 1-year contract that isn't performing. Yes, most hosts offer pro-rated refunds, but trying to get a pro-rated refund on a service like that is a serious pain in the ***, even with "reputable" hosting companies like HostGator.

You get a good hosting company, then yeah, go ahead and prepay for a few months or a year at a time if you can afford it...many give discounts that make doing so worthwhile. But don't pot commit to a host unless you've used them yourself and you're sure you know what they're all about.
    You're absolutely correct, but I've seen so many scams in the hosting industry over the years, and it's almost always a "per month" type hosting...

Me personally, I've never used a monthly plan because of all the scams that were out there, and luckily I've never had anything other than uptime and connectivity issues... And I put up with them, until I found something better...

Then I found a reseller program plus I have 2 servers colo in a friends data center.

The tough part for those that are new to all this is to determine which ones are good or not, which ones are running scams or not... Forget the refunds... That's money for a lesson learned.

But the op is definitely dealing with a scam operation... They charge and make more in late fees than they make for hosting... Just my opinion though.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Weird...the ones I know about are usually "per year" (e.g. f-r-i-s-d-o-t-n-e-t and subsequent ideas).

And I'd agree...this does look pretty shady.

Member #
    Lol. To be fair, I have used them for "small" sites for a few years now. I really haven't had major issues. Webhosting.info says they've lost some clientele these last few weeks actually (they only have around 1400 accts).

I admit the tos is laughable...someone mentioned they probably got a walmart lawyer to write it up. I doubt they bothered - probably lifted a tos off the internet. Again, I haven't been screwed over as of yet. My concern is I can't decipher what they offer (and the support isn't great - not native speakers, clearly).

So to ask you guys (1) "domains allowed" means the number of separate domain that lead to separate websites, right? Bluehost uses the term "(unlimited) domain hosting". I'm guessing it's the same? So in theory, if my package allots 50GB...and each site runs through 10GB, I could operate 3 separate sites without going over, correct?

and

(2) I'd like to set up a news-type site for my writing (simplified version of allthingsD) ... would wordpress have the capabilities (since the third party ftp scripts seem a hassle)? If yes, would the community here recommend either bluehost, dreamhost (more expensive?), or laughing squid?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Really ?

Seriously, "their TOS is laughable"... And you are trusting them with your cc information.

Many host offer "unlimited domains"... But again, read the fine print... Some I've seen offering that, require you to register any domain you want to run on their "unlimited" accounts on their system ... Obvious it's a scam.. A hosting plan that offers "unlimited" should allow you to point your domains from anywhere...

To be honest, unless you're serving ton of photos, or videos from your site... An average web site won't use more than 1-2 gb of bandwidth per month with 40-50k visitors per month... And that would be pushing it... But that all depends on your site content and visitor base.

Again, any decent hosting provider will have a package in place that you can easily upgrade your bandwidth to if it looks like you may exceed it... Many offer unlimited bandwidth so that is not a worry... But the term unlimited is defined so you cannot use it for just anything... It's mainly intended for content being hosted on your site... But they do not allow video files or music files of any kind.. And should be clearly defined in the TOS.

I personally cannot recommend any of th above named host as I've personally never used any of them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Yes, that should be correct. That's host-specific, however, and you have to be aware of the fine print, as WZ said.

2) See WZ's comment.

The Wal-Mart lawyer comment was mine in response to the fact that the host did indeed lift their ToS from somewhere else (or had it lifted, but that's a lot less likely). Look at the Google search result I posted...it's an exact phrase search. Several "hosts" use it.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    None of the numbers agree!
    in the title bar of the browser it's $1.80/month, then on the actual page it's $2.25..

Anyway, they can't be total scammers, since they're not using a reseller hosting plan: they have either a dedicated server or colocation (with Multacom)...

Even though they do look pretty horrible. Their website is hideous!! BTW, WordPress probably won't perform very well on them, because they probably pack all their clients on to one server...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads