Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello my friends, Im new to Apache. Does anyone here use Apache server with Vonage router. Im a little confused and stuck on trying to get my site live for the internet for the past 5 days now. I can see my site from the browser at localhost and localhost/index.html.

So Im assuming everything is working good so far, I configured the httpd.conf file and PHP5 to work together,sense Im only hosting my online resume and portfolio, I html/css hand coded. My original isp is verizon "DSL westell modem", but recently my parents got Vonage "vdv22-vd" so they could set up home phone for international calling. I don't get my internet through Vonage, but through Verizon. Vonage router is hooked into the westell modem, then vonage to my computer. So now I can't access the westell configuration menu, only vonage menu with ip - 192.168.15.1.

So I had no choice but to portforward vonage to :80, it sucks. The port is open, I ran a port checker and status says port :80 open. My server ip "im assuming static ip" is - 71.178.xxx.xx, and default gateway "im assuming is the vonage router ip" is - 192.168.1.1 , do I use one of these ip's for something. Not sure, maybe in apache httpd.conf or host file something, I looked around forums, but not exactly what im looking for.

I signed up with freedns and got a subdomain name, nothing fancy "rjapzdesigns.dynet.com". I also have the freedns update software installed and running too, don't know much how to use the updater. All this is running on another pc/server, not my regular pc. I have a feeling im overlooking or missing a few things, where do I go from here, going crazy with this, how do I get my site live guys, and link my freedns "rjapz.dynet.com" to my home server 71.178.xxx.xx.

Add

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You have to point it at your ISP's ip address on your local router ( assuming you have DSL or cable modem ).... You'll need a router there as well, to create either a DMZ entry pointing at your internal ip address of the machine running apache... Or some routers have "service bindings"... So all port 80 request that hit the router are sent to the internal ip address on your apache server.

If you're using a free dynamic dns service, I suspect they have instructions on how you should set things up. Pretty straightforward usually.

BTW... Every windows machine in the world configured with any web service answers to http://localhost , and every machine will respond to the 127.0.0.1 ip request as that is the loopback ip address of every network card in the world.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    ok first off instead off apache, I would use a wamp server, it has apache in it with php and other things, when you get it to where it says, It Works! in your browser, delete everything in the www folder located in your C:\. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A INDEX>HTML IN THIS WWW DIRECTORY, IT IS A HUGE SECURITY RISK IF YOU DONT, PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO SURF YOUR DOC'S WITH NO HACKING REQUIRED!!! ok so just drop every thing you want on your site in there, and every folder you make, is on your site as www.yoursite.com/thefolderyoumade have fun hosting! I do it too! it works great!
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Noteleklabs, post: 239169
    ok first off instead off apache, I would use a wamp server, it has apache in it with php and other things, when you get it to where it says, It Works! in your browser, delete everything in the www folder located in your C:\. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A INDEX>HTML IN THIS WWW DIRECTORY, IT IS A HUGE SECURITY RISK IF YOU DONT, PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO SURF YOUR DOC'S WITH NO HACKING REQUIRED!!! ok so just drop every thing you want on your site in there, and every folder you make, is on your site as www.yoursite.com/thefolderyoumade have fun hosting! I do it too! it works great!
    If he can see the site by going to http://localhost on the machine that the apache server is installed on, then his webserver is configured properly.

It's more an issue of getting the dynamic DNS pointer correct, it should be pointed at your ISP's public facing IP address.

As for the URL redirect ???? No clue what your talking about.

You should have a client software that checks and sends in your ip address to the service whenever it changes.

So all you should really need to do is create a port forward on your router to make sure that port 80 ( don't need both port 80 and port 8080 setup ), only port 80 is needed if you can see the site as localhost.

Internally, you may have to call your local internal ip address until the DNS updates are complete.

Some ISP''s don't allow the dynamic DNS ip changes to update on their nameservers. In that case, you may need to updat your DNS settings on your machine to some publicly available DNS servers, like googles.

Some routers can be configured to use DNS servers other than those provided by your ISP.

If you want to hardcode DNS SERVERS into your router, you can use googles ( 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.8.10 ) , or search for public available DNS servers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 239162
    You have to point it at your ISP's ip address on your local router ( assuming you have DSL or cable modem ).... You'll need a router there as well, to create either a DMZ entry pointing at your internal ip address of the machine running apache... Or some routers have "service bindings"... So all port 80 request that hit the router are sent to the internal ip address on your apache server.

If you're using a free dynamic dns service, I suspect they have instructions on how you should set things up. Pretty straightforward usually.

BTW... Every windows machine in the world configured with any web service answers to http://localhost , and every machine will respond to the 127.0.0.1 ip request as that is the loopback ip address of every network card in the world.
    Webzarus, I forgot to mention that my original isp is verizon "DSL westell modem", but recently my parents got Vanage "vdv22-vd" so we could set up a home phone.

I don't get my internet through Vonage, but through Verizon. Vonage is hooked into the westell modem, then vonage to my computer. So now I can't access the westell configuration menu, only vonage menu on ip - 192.168.15.1.

So I had no choice but to portforward vonage to :80, it sucks. The port is open, I ran a port checker and status says port :80 open. On command prompt ipconfig says "myhome.westell.com", does this mean anything. My server ip "im assuming static ip address" is - 71.178.xxx.xx, and default gateway is - 192.168.1.1 <is this the isp ip that I should point to, or point to my server ip adrss.

Im sorry Webzarus for all the questions and stuff, you know your stuff very well "ur pro", and nobody I know, knows nothing about web design/hosting and servers. And also im new to hosting my own site, and want to learn cause it's good experience, looks good on my resume, and at the same time trying to get my online portfolio done for a graphic/web design position. I was looking at your site for a domain.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    you know your stuff very well "pro", and nobody I know, knows nothing about web design/hosting and servers.
    Dude, that's what this site is for. Helping people out that are still learning. I come here and learn something new every day. you don't have to apologize to get help. :-/

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Noteleklabs, post: 239209
    Dude, that's what this site is for. Helping people out that are still learning. I come here and learn something new every day. you don't have to apologize to get help. :-/
    Thanx Noteleklabs for the support, at times when your stuck and you just want to go crazy with the questions, u know, but thanx friend.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Thanx Noteleklabs for the support, at times when your stuck and you just want to go crazy with the questions, u know, but thanx friend.
    no prob.

Member #
    Cool, got it to work, thanx all friends who viewed at least for the support. If you or anyone have the same problem or similar, let me know. Ill let ya know what I did.

Ill have the server on and off everynow and then to do more configuring, but check it out, its a slow Im fixing that too. http://rjapzdesigns.dynet.com

Remove Ads