Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I actually liked your post because you had good intentions. Although I know nothing of Crucial Paradigm (never heard of them before), the fact that you mentioned them in context with a larger company such as Hostgator means you're on the straight up. You meant well, and I respect that.

However, I just cannot recommend Hostgator to anyone. They have huge issues protecting their customers from botnets, and I spent about 6 weeks trying to get those clowns to recognize that the majority of "traffic" to the group of sites one of my clients has hosted with them. They could probably cut down on their own bandwidth costs about 30% if they took a few days to analyze their customers' traffic and put in a half-decent firewall to protect them from it, but they're not about to do that.

hostingcompanyname reviews is a good way to get reviews on hosts, provided the user knows to take them with a bit of a grain of salt and that there's no excuse for personal experience. Quite a few are obviously either shill reviews ("XYZ Host is great, they're never down and their support is always responsive, the end") or simply don't go into detail about aspects of the business that only a good hosting customer would know about (e.g. control panels, non-standard support issues, how they handle critical situations).
    PinkLily likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 246001
    However, I just cannot recommend Hostgator to anyone. They have huge issues protecting their customers from botnets, and I spent about 6 weeks trying to get those clowns to recognize that the majority of "traffic" to the group of sites one of my clients has hosted with them. They could probably cut down on their own bandwidth costs about 30% if they took a few days to analyze their customers' traffic and put in a half-decent firewall to protect them from it, but they're not about to do that.
    Thanks for the feedback. You are dead right about the bots draining bandwidth. The last 12 months it seems to have gotten far worse. To overcome this issue on any cpanel hosting I use I check my visitor stats in Awstats every few weeks then block those Class B IP addresses that are causing the problems. I just add a line to the root .htaccess file like this:

deny from 178.150.

Most of the bot traffic in my case comes from Russia, Ukraine, Germany and China, markets I am not interested in. I found some IP addresses were consuming as much as 2 Gig per month.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Yeah, that's about what I was finding, except that it was getting so bad that I ended up having to write a bot trap to create the .htaccess rules automatically myself. The bots were shutting down the sites at least once a day, and I'd have to go in, deny the bots, let Hostgator know what I did, and have them reactivate things.

Russia/China were the two biggest offenders, but many of them were in the States and Romania. Germany's definitely got some bad botnets, too.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Wow, that sounds really bad. I had another problem with some cheap and cheerful hosting where some hackers in the middle east, kept defacing the pages.

It was a pain in the butt but I certainly learned a lot about web server security

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    One I definitely recommend against: hosting24
    Their customer service/help desk is usually pretty responsive, to the tune of 3 or 4 hours tops. That said I was frequently encountering downtime due to things like unscheduled maintenance, asinine TOS violations (you sent > 10 emails in 1 minute), and forums being bot spammed like I've never seen.

One I can recommend: BlueHost
    You have to pay up front, around $80/year for one year. They do have a $50 Facebook ads credit, no strings on it. A couple other ad credits where you get $25-$100 once you spend x amount. I've only had one instance of downtime, which lasted about 20 minutes. SSH access configured on a shared server. Minimal bot traffic. Active customer feedback/improvement system where you can actually vote for different ideas (and they do implement from that list). The only downside is that the online help desk can have a 10-15 minute queue at times.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalPriapism, post: 246022
    One I can recommend: BlueHost
    I used to a big Bluehost fan, but last year I had lots of issues with .htaccess redirect attacks and Terms of Service warnings because bots were causing too many processes to run on my account no matter what I did.

I still have some sites on Bluehost. If you only have one or two sites on the account then I think Bluehost is probably just fine.

Member #
    Thank you everyone for all your feedback.. I appreciate it so much.. I will be having only one website and just starting so it seems a bit complicated but with all the help you all have given me ..I think I will be on the right track hopefully ...thanks again...

Banned
    Member #
    For E-commerce the easiest route would be wordpress. If you can figure out how to convert your design, or you can play with an existing theme. If you are accepting paypal payments for this website you can use wp-ecommerce. Hope this helps you out. Oh, you don't need VPS unless you are getting 10,000 traffic views a month, that is when a site hits its maturity.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seth@solarblu, post: 248543
    For E-commerce the easiest route would be wordpress. If you can figure out how to convert your design, or you can play with an existing theme. If you are accepting paypal payments for this website you can use wp-ecommerce. Hope this helps you out. Oh, you don't need VPS unless you are getting 10,000 traffic views a month, that is when a site hits its maturity.
    I use Wordpress a lot, but I would not use it for e-commerce. It is fairly simple to beef up the security if you're going to use it as a CMS or blogging platform, but as an e-commerce platform I think it is still too vulnerable.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 248548
    I use Wordpress a lot, but I would not use it for e-commerce. It is fairly simple to beef up the security if you're going to use it as a CMS or blogging platform, but as an e-commerce platform I think it is still too vulnerable.
    He's gonna promote WP for everything because that's what he and his company promotes and offers support for, even if its well known that its not the most secure or robust e-commerce platform.

He's made 8 post today as a new person and the most of them were inviting people to contact him offsite for more details about his hosting offers.

No he didn't post links, but his message was pretty clear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads