Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    :unsure:Trying to set up a website for retail and need it to have ecommerce features.. should i go with a
    shared web hosting or vps plan ..thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's no straight answer to that particular question because you'll need to ask yourself, and provide the answers to, several other questions first:

1) What programming language is the site built in?
    2) What database(s) will be used?
    3) How much bandwidth do you think you'll need?
    4) How many email accounts will you need?
    5) Will you require your own IP since you'll be registering your own SSL, or will a shared hosting SSL suffice?
    6) Do you have any other custom features or things (e.g. streaming video) that may cause issues?

Basically, you're building a business. Treat it like one and ask and answer every possible question. Having said that, talk to these guys: www.sectorlink.com . They'll probably ask you similar questions to those that I asked, although I'm not sure how much hand holding they'll do throughout the process...I generally haven't needed much, although they've given me whatever I needed (mostly when I first got a dedicated server in 2003, and again when I upgraded my server in 2010).
    PinkLily likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    The game has given you a lot of good information. We manage several large ecommerce sites on shared hosting plans with a company with their expert plan and have never had a problem of any kind with them.
    They have the fastest servers and some of the fasted support we've ever used in the internet and will help you any way they can to set up your site. I would suggest you contact them, or any other host and discuss your needs in an ecommerce site.
    Hostmantis
    http://www.hostmantis.com
    They also have a 50% off coupon for life right now. Visit their forum to get the code.

And we are not an affiliate of Hostmantis nor any other hosting company.
    PinkLily likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    thanks a bunch truly appreciate the information... will research it now.. thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I'm currently a massive fan of Linode and I know a few other guys in the industry who use it. http://www.linode.com/.
    PinkLily likes this.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Linode has a good reputation for a great VPS provider. I would also highly recommend SparkNode.com (they are a subsidiary of Hivelocity Hosting)
    PinkLily likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    well for shared i would recommend Arvixe or site ground
    and for vps i would recommend digital ocean or spark node
    PinkLily likes this.
    Chris Banks (Owner & CEO)
    SUNDOT INC.
    www.sundotsolution.com | 415-449-4755
    More than a solution, it's the Sundot Solution.

Member #
    PinkLily, if money is not an issue for you then I must suggest you to choose VPS solutions. You can control your websites from the VPS and there should be no issue with high traffic at a time....

Besides VPS solutions, you can also go with cloud solutions. Cloud solution is mandatory if you want 100% guaranteed up time for your websites. Cloud hosting providers offer 24*7 up time feature as if one node is dead or blocked or attacked other remains open. So think between VPS and Cloud.

You can get $15 free trial credit on cloud solutions from Atlantic.net, they are reliable as some of my colleagues are using their service. Here is the plan chart of cloud hosting:
    [EDIT: Link removed by TheGAME1264. Please read the forum rules. Thanks.]

Besides Atlantic, you can also try rackspace or amazon for cloud solutions.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    earthboy, all of your posts have been about atlantic.net. At this point, it's starting to look pretty suspicious. If you keep posting about atlantic.net and nothing else, I'm going to make the assumption that you're spamming the forums and act accordingly.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I'd start out with shared hosting and then upgrade to VPS when the site starts making money. Over the last 13 years I've used a bunch of different hosting companies. The ones I can recommend, and still use, are Hostgator and Crucial Paradigm. But before you make a decision, I suggest you do a Google search on hostingcompanyname reviews.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads