Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You might want to look at his signature.

WZ: don't be hatin' on the Windows boxes, yo. That's my game, and I'll have to go 1995 grainy animated GIF medieval on your *** if you do!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLily, post: 239958
    May I ask .. what hosting company do you recommend?:unsure:
    It all depends on the client.

If they want a turn key package on a "big brand", I set them up on godaddy, once everything is setup I walk them through putting their cc info and admin contact info in, leaving myself as technical contact.

If they want a turn key package but don't care about the "big brand" thing, I put them on my reseller account.

For those that don't care or want to know about any of that, I out them on one of my own servers that are co located in a "friends"'data center.

Sure, godaddy is like many, that will load up their servers ( can't blame them as 90% of sites never get a lot of traffic so they rarely affect server performance ), in the rare case where your site might end up on a server with several busy sites, I've had good success in getting them ( godaddy ), to move my clients site onto a less utilized server.

Many hosting companies servers are completely capable of handling everything that is put on them, but their infrastructure ( network ), is lacking, so it causes slow responses and people think its because the server is overloaded. Those are the ones that no matter what the sever company does, the site is slow.

I've personally never had a bandwidth issue with them, I have had some DB connection issues, but they were resolved, once I brought it to their attention.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 239959
    You might want to look at his signature.

WZ: don't be hatin' on the Windows boxes, yo. That's my game, and I'll have to go 1995 grainy animated GIF medieval on your *** if you do!
    It's not the windows boxes.... It's the people running them that cause most of the problems...

I'm a long time asp developer, I'd say over 80% of my apps I built and maintain are asp, so I gotta love windows. Old school style.

I gotta get my .net skills caught up. Just not feeling it though... Probably convert all my current stuff to .net, then retire.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Hey, HEYYYYYYYY! Oh wait...I do cause lots of problems on the 'net. Never mind.

I started converting things to .NET in 2009. The problem is right now, when I do about half my stuff in ASP and half in VB.NET. I see something in ASP and think to myself, "damn, I could do this in .NET and have it done in about 45 minutes." Fortunately, as I go along I get more and more new stuff to do so that gives me the chance to start it in .NET.

It is, however, a royal pain in the a$$ to learn and I know maybe 1/4 of it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thankyou for all your feedback, I appreciate the info... for a beginner like myself, it is still looking kinda shady to me but I guess I ll just have to keep doing research, but I totally like appreciate all your feedback thanks again...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I'm a bit late but check out:
    -JaguarPC
    -SparkNode/Hivelocity

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You didn't just say JaguarPC. TELL me you didn't just say JaguarPC. That has to be one of the turdstainiest companies I've ever worked with (yes, I invented a word just for those toolboxes).

Had a client with a virtual dedicated server with them in 2009. Their Parallels panel turned code of mine that worked for over 8 years into an absolute disaster area because of the things it disabled (CDO, for example). And they wouldn't get rid of the damn thing no matter how many times I asked.

Awful, awful company. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

I don't know anything about the other two, though.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    lol. Well I have had good experiences with them (and bad ones, too, but not so many), and their prices are good.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're looking for a web hosting server, I would suggest a Linux VPS over a Windows server, due to a lower cost per service ratio and so many user friendly Control Panel options available for Linux. However, if you have large scripts or Apps to install and run constantly, I would suggest a Windows Server.
    In order to get the name and reputation that large web hosts have achieved, they have to at least have some reliability to back it up. However, those that are too large such as Hostgator probably have a difficult time providing excellent customer service to everyone. It's really up to you to find a Web Hosting provider that's right for you, reach out and contact them before you buy, and make sure they have a 99.9% uptime rating and a money back guarantee.
    PinkLily likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads