Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    IM trying to set up a website that will allow me to have ecommerce features yet also include
    SSL certification along with shopping carts, but I will be selling clothes, accessories, etc. Will hostgator
    be a good webhosting co. for that or will the type of that type of website be unable to be supported by
    hostgator... I just dont want any surprises .. heard the goods and the bads of hostgator???

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Why don't you contact Hostgator and discuss your needs with them. We do that on occasion for our clients to help find the best host for their needs even though we have our regular tried and tested hosting companies.
    PinkLily likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My big issue with HostGator has always been the shill posters. They also locked my father-in-law out of his hosting account because his credit card was compromised, he cancelled it, they tried to bill it despite him having 5 months' worth of service left, and they cut off his account without warning. Unfortunately, my father-in-law compounded the error by throwing away his credit card statements, but this never should have come down to that in the first place.
    PinkLily likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I've heard The Game's story more than one time about HG and 1and1. I think 1and1 has to be the web hosting industry's nightmare. We actually don't use any of the large big name hosting companies anymore. We enjoy working with the smaller companies that aren't over selling their servers and have super fast support.

HG has also been bought out by EIG and if their footprint follows into HG as all the other companies they've bought out..down the tubes HG will go.
    PinkLily and shovenose like this.
    Bleau

Member #
    thanks for the info... do you have any suggestions on any legit web hosting providers

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLily, post: 239788
    thanks for the info... do you have any suggestions on any legit web hosting providers
    We use several small companies and also have our corporate clients hosted with them. We do this because of their fast servers, fast support and not over selling their servers. We stopped using the larger big name host several years ago.

Give this company a look....they also have a 50% off for life coupon on their forum under special offers. http://www.hostmantis.com

I think they've got the fastest servers we've ever used and we very seldom see any downtime with them.
    PinkLily and shovenose like this.
    Bleau

Member #
    thanks so much!!! going to research it now... wonder if it offers window hosting as well.. btw do you know if unlimited disk space and unlimited transfer really legit??

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLily, post: 239791
    thanks so much!!! going to research it now... wonder if it offers window hosting as well.. btw do you know if unlimited disk space and unlimited transfer really legit??
    There is no such thing as unlimited. Always read the TOS (terms of service) on any hosting company especially the ones that offer unlimited. I don't know if HM offers Windows hosting. For our clients that need Windows hosting we let them choose their own and it's usually twice as expensive as Linux hosting.

We use a small company that has unlimited for a few of our small business clients with static html sites. We have very few problems with them but we can tell a difference in up time and server speed sometimes over the companies that don't have unlimited.
    PinkLily and TheGAME1264 like this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    bleau canon: you mentioned EIG, and this is actually the second time someone has mentioned them in the last few weeks. I had to delete the thread though, because at the time all of the posts were uncorroborated and made by a competitor.

Can you talk about your experiences with EIG-related companies?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLily, post: 239791
    With absolutely no sarcasm intended, look at it this way...can you buy a hard drive anywhere with unlimited storage space? As in can you walk into Best Buy or Circuit City or any computer/electronics store and buy that?

The answer to that question will in turn let you know about the legitimacy of "unlimited" disk space and transfer. Unfortunately, even some of the legit companies have been forced into offering "unlimited" services because of a bunch of scumbag hosts that offer the services and because of the lack of understanding of a value proposition that geeks as a whole possess.
    PinkLily likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads