Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wondering if anyone has ever used 1and1 shared hosting and needed to increase a script timeout. I'm trying to upgrade a client's phpBB installation and it appears to time out after 10 seconds on the converter (although it's hard to tell since I only get the generic 1and1 error page).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Why don't you give 1and1 support a call.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Tried that, but because I'm not the owner of the account, they won't provide me support until the owner gives the OK...and he's out of town.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    1and1 has a bad reputation. Now you understand first hand why :P
    Is there some sort of change you can make in the php.ini file of the directory? Like... http://php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Tried that too. Apparently it's not available on shared hosting plans.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Certainly 1and1 have support on their shared hosting plans. If they told you they didn't then they're staying true to their word....they have no clue as to what they doing. Them and Godaddy were flushed down our toilet several years ago never to return.

http://www.webhostingreviews.com/1and1-reviews.htm
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Oh, they have support. That's not the problem. What they're saying is that they won't support ME because I don't own the account UNLESS the owner of the account allows it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I often have to call support on behalf of a client. When the hosting is purchased, I ask them to put me on the account as a contact. I also ask them for their password and username.
    When I call support, I explain that I am representing the client, as their web designer, and since I know the username and password, and I'm listed as a contact, there has never (so far) been a problem with any of the hosts I've had to contact, except with GoDaddy.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Then add 1and1 to that list. I have the password and username, but that meant nothing.

This isn't even the only problem I have had with these idiots this week. What a horrible company.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I have never used 1 and 1, and from the remarks about them I've read here and on other boards, I don't think I ever will. I tend to trust real-life evaluations by real people over the often biased hosting comparison sites.

I think over time everyone develops a list of hosting and other resources that they can trust, and then tend to stick with them. I have several hosts that I use, some Canadian and some in the US, and all of them are on my list mainly due to good support. I can recommend them to my clients with confidence, and have even had two clients change from other hosts, with very good results.

Good luck with your efforts - maybe your client should consider moving to the hosting you use - sounds like you have a great rapport there and if this is going to be an ongoing relationship with this client, eliminating support hassles could make a big difference in how your relationship with the client goes forward.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads