Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    My web designer asked me for all my GoDaddy passwords since my site is hosted on
    Godaddy. I gave them to them.I have now discovered that they did not upload my website
    to my Wordpress application inside Godaddy. They created a manual WP account for it.
    BUT they added an FTP username & password (which I don't know) to my GD account.

Why did they do the install to a manual WP account? Can I do things like backup my
    files the same in the manual WP account? I don't even know why they asked for all
    my GoDaddy passwords - all of them - not just my FTP user/pw's.

Thanks

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I would hope that you trust your designer enough to give them any passwords that he/she might require.
    As for WordPress, I don't understand what you mean by "manual wp account" could you please explain? perhaps you mean that they didn't use GoDaddy's one-click installer, that they uploaded it manually and made the database manually (which I would recommend anyway).

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The easiest way for a designer to gain access to your wordpress files is through your control panel which would require your password, and some designers just have their own methods of doing things, such as using FTP instead of the WP app you're used to. As long as this designer is reputable, I can understand why they would require your login information. However, I would make sure that they know what they're doing, and make sure you get all access information for EVERY aspect of your website just in case.

Remove Ads