Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I'm looking for something that I can install on a CentOS or Debian server and that will allow me to use a simple web based interface to:
    -create accounts
    -add domains to the accounts
    -add dns records to each domain

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. Most DNS servers are completely seperate standalone servers because they need to be secured. Having a DNS server on a web services server is big security risk. If the web server is not setup correctly, and someone hacks a site, they could have access to your DNS server.

2. You have to have access to an authoritative DNS server to be able to access and modify DNS records. Just setting up a DNS server doesn't give you access to modify DNS records. Even if you're running a local DNS server to modify zones just for your web servers, without access to an authoritative DNS server, our changes will never been seen by anyone but your local domain.

3. I was under the impression ( I may be wrong ), cent and BEOS both have web based management for web services as a core library ? Again, I may be wrong, and they may no longer support it, but at one time both of them offered that ( I think ).

If you're looking for a web interface to allow customers to manage ( web based ) their web services, that's a different story... You'll need a third party program for that, I don't think any Linux OS has that ability built in ( but I may be wrong ), I quit following Linux distro's a few years back, so there may be something out there now I'm just not aware of.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Thank you for the information.
    Basically what I'm trying to do is make it so that if customers set their name servers to ns1 and ns2.freakydns.com they can log in to my.freakydns.com (which is on its own server) then save the info in a MySQL database. Then ns@ and ns2 every 5 minutes will pull that information from the database and apply it to the and service.
    Does that make sense or am I completely confusing and confused?
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So just wondering out loud here... Is that not how its already setup for you or are you trying something different ?

Trying the home hosted servers again ?

Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish but if you have a reseller account you should have the ability to setup a custom name sever associated with your web hosing account.

If this is a standalone project, there's way too much to address in these forums. And without extensive knowledge and understanding of how DNS and nameservers work, you're asking for a lot of trouble and headaches.

Again, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    No, I'm not using the reseller account, and this has nothing to do with home hosting.
    Jeez, I'm not a scammer or something.

I think I'm just going to use PowerDNS across multiple servers with a customized and beautiful version of this (it'll be a bit of work but it'll turn out great):
    https://www.poweradmin.org/trac/

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Jeez,
    I wasn't insinuating anything, but the answers you're seeking in regards to DNS are very specific to the situation. Since I still have no idea, I still have no answers.

DNS servers are a lot tougher to setup and manage even if you know what you're doing.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I got it to work
    http://my.freakydns.com/

Remove Ads