Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    As the title suggests i would like to learn how to point a parked domain to another website hosted in a different directory on my paid hosting server.

Here are the circumstances, i have a paid hosting and a domain, i also got a second free domain and a second website. I would like to host the second website files in a different directory then the one in which i host my main website. Than i want to park that second free domain in this server, and make a sort of redirect to point it to that second folder. How do i do that? How do i tell that second parked domain to display files from that second directory?

Thank you a lot.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You'd need a multi-domain hosting account for that. The exact steps would depend on your host and any control panels they have installed. The business hosting plan on this page is an example:

http://www.sectorlink.com/web-hosting.html

If you're not sure whether or not your hosting plan supports this, post the link to your host and the name of the plan you have and someone here will be able to figure it out (we've got several hosting-wise people on here, including a couple of hosts).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As TheGame has already said, it does depend on your hosting provider and the plan that you are using.

Most times if you're allowed multiple domains, you will make these changes in 2 places, your control panel that allows you to set the domain name to the folder, and the DNS records, where they are already pointed at the "parked" domain name servers, and allow you to point them to different name servers.

Again, it depends on your hosting provider and the plan that you have.

Member #
    Thank you a lot friends.
    Sorry for delayed reply.

Frankly my hosting provider is right now in the very process of switching from one control panel to another, it was cPanel but they are changing it, so i can't really tell what menu options a have right now, but they assured me that my hosting package includes multi site hosting and multi domain hosting and parking.

As soon as control panel will be available (within one week) I'll get back here to continue.

Thanks again,
    Regards and Happy Holidays everyone.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Weird that they're taking cPanel away. Usually that's the one hosts prefer. Did they tell you what they're switching it to?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 245712
    Weird that they're taking cPanel away. Usually that's the one hosts prefer. Did they tell you what they're switching it to?
    I'm thinking reseller that is changing providers.... CPanel is the defacto control panel for users, but there may be a new competitor that is offering the same level of control that cPanel offers... Usually when a hosting provider changes... They offer the old and new for a while ... Just different login locations ... Be interested to here who the provider is and why they are changing.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, me too. You may well be right in that it's a new player in the field.

I was thinking Parallels, but they're not a new player by any stretch.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 245712
    Did they tell you what they're switching it to?
    Not yet, it's not some kind of big player hosting provider, it's a small company in a country in eastern Europe, a kind of city-wide provider. I've seen DirectAdmin CP being used as well in my country.
    The beat never fades!

Remove Ads