Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

I am new to Apache and I've been wanting to do this for months now and I just haven't had the time to get stuck in!

Okay, so I want to install Apache onto my Windows server 2003 IIS.
    I've already got PHP 5, MySQL ... they have already been setup on the server and now I want to install Apache for SEO reasons, caching leverage and enabling compression etc. etc.

I've done a bit of research on the net and a simple guide to do it was on this website: http://www.thewebhostinghero.com/tut...ws-apache.html

Now my question is, WILL IT BE THAT SIMPLE? Should I follow that guide?

The LAST thing I want to do, is to install apache and then all of a sudden my IIS, MySQL, PHP settings have been reset / overwritten / lost or and my databases have been deleted and none of my website work anymore - This is the fear I have!

Can anyone give me some reassurance on this and any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1. Why are you setting up a 2003 server ? It's in extended support and will only have security patches and update available. If you have a major hardware or software issue, you're on your own.

#2. Server 2008 ( web services ), provides all the features you're looking for out of apache.

#3. All your stuff SHOULD work, with exception IIS and apache on the same box create their own set of issues, unless you know what your doing. Personally, I run one or the other, not both, too many headaches.

If you really want to take advantage of apache/PHP/MySQL ... There is really only 1 option ( in my opinion ), setup a Linux server. PHP on windows works, but I've yet to see it work great... I'm by no means an expert, but if I'm gonna run apache, PHP, MySQL on a windows box... I just load WAMP... I've done that numerous times for clients ( wanting to run PHP on internal servers ), and every install was smooth, no problems... The only time it did give me issues, IIS was already installed and running on that machine... Once I disabled IIS, all was well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    HI Webzarus,

You see I've had this dedicated server for years now (with Godaddy) ... It's an ancient machine and personally I'd like to get another dedicated server with either Godaddy or another company. It's just a pitty that Godaddy doesn't update our system because for the same price and for the same package, Godaddy are currently renting out dedicated servers with todays technology:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 - 2 cores
    RAM: 2 GB
    Storage: 2 x 160 GB hard drives
    Bandwidth: 5 TB per month

Compared to mine:

CPU: Pentium 4 3ghz
    RAM: 1 GB
    Storage: 120 GB hard drives
    Bandwidth: Not sure anymore per month

So I'm kinda stuck with the server that we started renting out years and years ago. Also, Godaddy are wanting to charge an arm and a leg (I think $800)to migrate to a newer machine and OS with no setting up of software and programs (I must ask again). So ya, I'm pretty sick of my current server!

You're right, Linux is the way to go - I just need to see if I can afford it.
    So I get that it's not gonna be a walk in the park if I try install Apache on windows 2003 - so I won't screw with that since I don't have much server knowledge

So you reckon a Linux server compared to a windows 2008 server is much better?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It all depends on the technology you're using...

I've been an ASP developer for years, many of my client sites are in asp and a handful are done in asp.net, for those that are done in PHP, I have a vps on a Linux server.

If you're completely a PHP shop, ( from what you've said, you're not )... But if you were strictly PHP, then yeah I'd go with Linux.... Windows running PHP is limited... Doesn't have the response times you can get from Linux .... And if you're offering hosting packages, you can put a lot more on a Linux server.

I only have a handful of clients that need Linux... So vps.

My windows servers are co-located in a friends cage I have a 2003 and a 2008 server, just finished moving all my clients to the 2008 platform... Looking for a 2011 server to replace the old one... Probably later in the year, I'll replace it, and start testing and putting a few sites on it.

I didn't know GD did full servers ( never considered them as an option )...But your price break will probably come with the new bandwidth cost... If I were you... Needed to stay with windows...( for core services ), I'd move to the better package... Big difference in cache handling and performance on the newer server ... But that's just me.

From talkin with others and reading, I hear they are pretty good at transfers to 2008... Little if no downtime, the let the DNS propogate out, only after YOU have approved the transfer. Most users never even know the server was changed ( except for response times ).

Remove Ads