Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Total newbie!!

Member #
    OK so I'm learning some HTML & CSS - I'm just knocking up some pages using Notepad and getting to grips with code etc.

When I come to send my work to a friend to see what he thinks, I'm losing the hyperlinks to the images that I've used. I know that this is because I'm using the files rooted in my x:\ drive....So....

How do I retain this links and keep the HTML project 'mobile' to that it can be sent as an attachment or even uploaded to a server/domain?

This is probably a really basic element of design, but I'm stumped!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What you're currently using is absolute paths, they work for testing and such, but will never work for your situation or when you go to actually push those files to a web server.

What you need to learn is how "relative paths" work and start using them for links and or your paths.

I'd also suggest your setting up a test web server environment for testing your pages and links. You may be just starting out, but you should also know and understand how a webserver works with our files.

If you're on a windows machine, you can use WAMP or just install IIS for your current windows version.

Member #
    Nice one - thanks mate!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I remember when I started out I had this problem. I think I spent an hour trying to work out why an image wasn't loading right and thought it had something to do with the css not positioning it right or something but of course it was the link being wrong..
    Nathan Wilkins Web Design - www.nathanwilkins.com
    "I create Simple and Stylish Websites"
    'Like' facebook.com/NathanWilkinsWebDesign

Remove Ads