Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Video hosting

Member #
    Hello all, I've come to this community in hope you have a solution for my problem!

Okay, so I already have a website, and I've got another 10months worth of hosting paid for.
    Only I've now decided to add video, which I hadn't originally intended on, and I only get 50GB of data transfer a month.

By December I will have 12 videos posted. (2 in February, 1 every month after).
    All videos will be approximately 30MB - 50MB.

Visitors is currently hard to predict, but my partner suggests we should cover for around 800GB worth of data transfer for now with the option to up our data transfer later if we need to.

Our problem is, we don't really know what our best options are.

Most CDN's we have looked at have been really confusing to understand, and all seem like they're aimed at larger markets (maybe they're not, maybe that's just our misunderstanding?)

So our question is: Can anyone recommend some services that will allow us to stream 800GB worth of video (multiple videos, not just one) per month to our website?

The only option we currently understand is Amazon S3. And from what we can tell, we can just pay them $0.095 per GB per month for storage and $0.120 per GB per month on data transfer.
    Our main problem with that is it's in US Dollars, and we can't find the GB Pounds price.
    Second problem is, we feel like for 800GB/month of data, there might be a better price than $96/month.

For example we can see that MAXCDN do 1TB/month for $39.95. (We're currently waiting for a response to wether the package is available for us as we struggled to understand everything that was being said. We know they support media streaming, but we don't know if there is a limit on the number of videos we are allowed to stream or wether they force a certain video format or video player etc... Also we need to know how the price translates to GBP).

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Tons of dollar to lb conversion tools out there, and they vary depending on today's current exchange rate.

Personally if they don't have all the details and limitations on an account described before purchase, stay away from them. If ou can't get the answers you're seeking by talking directly to a sales rep, then you need to leave them alone. Way too many legitimate service offering out there to even try to deal with someone who won't put all the cards on the table before you sign a deal.

Saving a few buck might seem like a good option, but unless you know who you're dealing with, I'd go with the "brand" than the buck... Mainly because they have a reputation to uphold...

If you don't see the answers to the questions you're looking for, perhaps you should ask the questions, their support staff's job is to make sure you understand every aspect of the plan.

If you don't get the answers because you didn't ask the question, then that's on you and you alone.

Member #
    Hey Webzarus, thanks for the reply and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 248368
    Tons of dollar to lb conversion tools out there, and they vary depending on today's current exchange rate.
    That's what I'm using at the moment for my estimates. It's just in my experience sometimes the companies don't do it as a straight conversion because of the fluctuation (because of the exchange rate), so they just write up a static price list for GBP.

Personally if they don't have all the details and limitations on an account described before purchase, stay away from them. If ou can't get the answers you're seeking by talking directly to a sales rep, then you need to leave them alone. Way too many legitimate service offering out there to even try to deal with someone who won't put all the cards on the table before you sign a deal.

Saving a few buck might seem like a good option, but unless you know who you're dealing with, I'd go with the "brand" than the buck... Mainly because they have a reputation to uphold...
    I'm fairly sure they have all the information there, it's just littered with confusing terminology that I don't know/understand, so I'm emailing them to try and get a more simplified response answering the specific questions I ask.

I am looking to save a few buck, but like you say, if that's at the cost of quality, it's not worth it.

If you don't see the answers to the questions you're looking for, perhaps you should ask the questions, their support staff's job is to make sure you understand every aspect of the plan.

If you don't get the answers because you didn't ask the question, then that's on you and you alone.
    Like I said, I am asking the questions, I'm still waiting for a response, and in the meantime, I've turned to a community that is far more knowledgable on the subject, merely to ask if anyone can recommend any particular services that I may not of come across already.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. Exchange rates are pretty straight forward no matter who you're dealing with.

I purchase services from a company based in Japan. Every month my invoice price is based on the current exchange rate when they billed it. It all depends on the company and the bank handling the actual transaction. My personal CC uses a slightly higher rate, but charges a lower transaction fee.

Video and video hosting have little or nothing to do with web design, sure you have to design around it, but still its kinda like graphics design, or code development... Has its own following.

Most everyone here, when they see video hosting suggest you tube, as its pretty popular, although you get their branding, if you just post them... And depending on the video content, they may or may not allow you to post them.

Perhaps someone with video hosting knowledge will find this thread, but doubtful.

You're going about it the right way then, ask questions the way you need to understand them and hopefully they will either educate you on the correct terminology, or present the answers in terms you understand.

Good luck

Member #
    Thanks, again, I understand video hosting is unrelated to design, and if I don't get any new suggestions it's not the end of the world, I'm still waiting to hear back from one or two places, I'm sure I'll find something reliable and affordable soon.
    The sub-category "web hosting, and domain name help" seemed relatively relevant so I thought it was worth a go.

Thanks, again, Steve.

Remove Ads