Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi guys,

I keep hearing about people catching dropped domains, but how do you actually catch them?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most of them doing this are registrars or associated with a registrar.

Because every registrar has a "holding" period varying from 30 to 45 days on names registered in their pool, its almost impossible to know exactly when a dropped name will become available and be out back into the general pool. You can be assured, that if a "high value" name gets put into a "holding" status... Someone will register it within seconds of it becoming available.

The only way to do that is have access to the registrars DB, and know the exact time it the record will be available.

Backordering on most registrars just doesn't work, because they only poll the DB once of twice a day ( based on their agreement ), and can never catch it faster than these leeches.

What's even more worrisome, is scanning user request for available domains, and then grabbing them if the user doesn't register it right then an there.

I was researching out some names the other day, I use my phone almost constantly... Found a couple that were promising... They were available. Had a client call, got into a lengthy discussion.

After a 15 minute phone call, I went to login to my account and register the domain names. The one I liked the most was not coming up available as a premium domain name in auction with a starting bid of $3k.

Remove Ads