Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So I have a client that's not far from enraged that says "he bought a domain name from Godaddy, why are you hosting the website on your server?" ...

To make this clear, I don't have a lot of server/hosting experience, I've mostly done design and development.

He had a website before, hosted with godaddy on the same domain as we're using. After we finished the site, my colleague took the domain and hooked it up with our new site so it overrides the original site. This is, the site is still being hosted on OUR server, but the domain is through Godaddy. (> ___.com > godaddy's database > to our server. Right?)

My client is insisting that he bought a domain (possibly server space as well?) so he should be able to host the website through Godaddy alone.

Does this make sense? Am I wrong when I say we have to host it on our server but we take the domain name from the hosting company? Again, he seems to want to do everything through Godaddy. I believe this is how all of our sites work? My teammate is gone for the week and I thought I'd ask here before bugging him...

Here's one of the quotes from him, if it helps:

I don't want it moved to "another server" I want it put on Godaddy [referring to the fact he doesn't like the server it's currently on]

I'm paying for it, I really don't understand what makes it so hard. Can't we just upload your site's info and bam done, maybe have to adjust some links

Member #
    Ohhhhh... So he just told me he has a separate server he bought when he got his domain. That's probably why we were having other issues. Guess website features don't like to be hosted on multiple servers..

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Uh, yeah... I'd be more than furious.

If I had hosting and you were just redirecting the domain to your servers.

But...

Lack of communication on both parties is at fault here.

He obviously did not tell you, give you FTP credentials, whatever to put the files on his server.

Someone had to have changed the NS entry and DNS entries to make to domain work on your servers... ? Him or you ?

Simple enough to fix. Setup his hosting for that domain ( probably already is ), put a copy of the files on his server. Then change the DNS pointers back to his NameServers ( all in his control panel )... Wait a little bit, and voila ... Done

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 249594, member: 27723
    Uh, yeah... I'd be more than furious.

If I had hosting and you were just redirecting the domain to your servers.

But...

Lack of communication on both parties is at fault here.

He obviously did not tell you, give you FTP credentials, whatever to put the files on his server.

Someone had to have changed the NS entry and DNS entries to make to domain work on your servers... ? Him or you ?

Simple enough to fix. Setup his hosting for that domain ( probably already is ), put a copy of the files on his server. Then change the DNS pointers back to his NameServers ( all in his control panel )... Wait a little bit, and voila ... Done

We were just thinking he was yet another customer who didn't know a lot about the internet (we operate in a very small, tech-unsavvy area, we get weird demands all the time), so when I sat down with him and asked him exactly why he was upset he showed me that he had specifically bought server space through Godaddy, which I didn't know they offered, and that he wanted the site to be hosted on that server.

Again, I thought he was saying that we didn't need to host it on a server and that the domain was enough... Yeah it was my fault, should have looked more into it, and I should be more savvy about the ins and outs of my field... But you live and you learn and he's still a happy customer.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You don't have a contract ?

And you didn't know godaddy offers hosting ?

Yes, you do live and learn.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what you described, should never had been an issue. Period.

Yeah, I know design people don't put a hole lot of thought into the other parts of the business, but if you take the time to so the basics, you maximize your profits for the project.

I have 3 different offerings for my clients, as a turn key, if they want to to handle everything, I put them on one of my servers. If they want some control of their content, I set them up an account on my shared hosting plan, if they want complete control,'I put them on my reseller servers. This is all described in detail, in my contracts with them.

And if you don't want to know about that kind of stuff, you should partner up with someone that does know it, and get some contracts, so mis-understandings like this don't happen.

Sure, you may think your client is happy now, but let me tell you something, almost all of my current client base, before hiring me, told me some similar stories about how "less than up front" or "lacks professionalism" their previous provider was.

Member #
    Yeah, been there done that. We get that all the time referring to your last point. Communication is key, always. And maybe he won't work with me again, but I won't be too depressed, as often as I have to, if I have to deal with client's attacks, they're not being professional, and I won't want to work with them in the future. But sometimes you got to be that guy who keeps calm and lets the client cuss him out, and when he's done, ask exactly what's wrong and fix the problem. Again, it was my fault, I understand that. But raging is NEVER acceptable in a professional environment.

As far as this thread goes, I got my info, I appreciate the help. But I'm not going to be a sitting duck for anyone who feels the need to "tell me what's right." I've already gotten that from the client, and I'm going to get that "why does everything fall apart when I'm gone???" speech from my team mate when he gets back.

Again, thanks for your help, I will no longer be responding to this thread.

Remove Ads