Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I remade a website for a friend on GoDaddy (newdomain.com). His old website is on Network Solutions (olddomain.com). I want to transfer the domain from Network Solutions to Go Daddy so that when users go to olddomain.com it shows the new website I made. I've never transferred a domain name before, so I have some concerns before I do.

His entire company uses theirname@olddomain.com as their emails. I don't want anything to happen to their emails when I transfer and I still want them to be intact. When I sign on to the Network Solutions account and click on the olddomain, it says:

OldDomain currently points to:

Domain Name Server (DNS) ( Edit )
    DNS1.NETTICA.COM
    DNS2.NETTICA.COM
    DNS3.NETTICA.COM
    DNS4.NETTICA.COM
    DNS5.NETTICA.COM

So is this a third party in which the domain name olddomain.com is hosted on? When I asked a guy on the phone he said the emails are hosted on Nettica as well. The whole thing just confuses me. If someone can clear this up I would greatly appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, whoever you called would normally be right but in this case is likely dead wrong. Nettica.com is a DNS service provider only. They might host the emails (it's a service provider only), but the customer himself likely hosts the site. That means your friend likely has a web server, or at least knows someone who does (and is hopefully not stupid enough to host a business site on a home computer).

If I'm right, then that's easier for you. Just turn over the contents of your site to your friend, give him access to the domain, and let him configure it how he needs to on his server.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1 rule

Never... Ever ever, list an email address with the same domain name as the "registrars contact email" for that domain ...

If you ever have issues with the domain or it expires or anything else... Where will the registrar send the email to ? The email address that is having the problem ? Make sense ?

When you register a domain name anywhere, you should have an email account somewhere else to use for that domains contact info. So, in case there is an issue, they can send you email regarding this.

As for the transfer from anywhere to anywhere... Each registrar has their own process, but all rely on the contact email address listed on the domain to initiate the transfer process.

If you just want to point the old domain traffic to the new domain web site, this can be accomplished with a DNS zone file change... You don't have to move or change registrars unless you just really want to.

Member #
    What's important here is where the MX records (mail server) point to. If they are using external mail services like Google apps it doesn't matter where the DNS or A records point to. If you're using a local mail server you can change the DNS and sync the old and new server to make sure no mail is lost while the DNS propagates.

Remove Ads