Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

moving site to a new host

Hello everybody. *I am in the planning stages of my first php/MySQL driven site and I am struggling trying to pick a host. I am leaning toward cheap hosting to start off with (to save money).

I need to get going with the design/learning curve for the backend programming and I want to use someone else's server rather than set up my own (I have enough new stuff to learn without adding server setup to the list).

The problem is choosing a host. I'm leaning toward iPage because they offer an anytime cancelation policy (so there is no long term commitment while I sort out all the details of building my site). *

Like most people I suppose, I'm hoping my site will be wildly popular, I'll be making money, and will want to migrate to a dedicated server at some point in the future.

Finally, here's my question, how difficult is it to move a bunch of MySQL databases to a different (I.e. not cheap) host (the dedicated host in the future)? I'm thinking that the largest table will have 10,000 records with 5 or 6 fields. There will be other tables as well but they should be smaller (at least at the point I would consider the move).

I understand that I can download the database files to my local machine (for backup). I assume the host (any host?) would provide restore tools. * Any feel for how much time it takes to backup/restore the database? I'm not concerned with the HTML pages because I already have experience moving them. Would the new host with the dedicated server move everything for me from the cheap host? *

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I've never heard of iHost before, however a quick look at their website tells me you should be fine to host there as a start up. Since you are dealing with a PHP/MySQL website, you always have the option of installing PHPMyAdmin to get your database backups. PHPMyAdmin is a bunch of PHP files that you upload into a folder access on your webserver (ie// iHost) and allows you to manage your databases, including SQL dumps.

SQL dumps are what you want for moving your database to a different host in the server. Some online hosted solutions will provide backups to you, but they may just be CSV exports of your data, or some other archive format. The problem with these is that they don't always include the database schema that you need to recreate the tables. SQL dumps should by default include both the table schema and the table data in a format that you can later run on a brand new MySQL server elsewhere, perfectly recreating your original database.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your reply. BTW, I was looking at iPage as the possible cheap host.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Even a semi-decent host will generally have a control panel, ideally cPanel. cPanel has a site backup option that throws pretty much anything to do with your site into a tarball and then you can send it via FTP, to your email, download it to your hard drive, whatever. I've got a client that archives sites by backing them up from his server at HostGator to one at 1and1, then from there downloads them to his Dropbox to make sure everything got there okay and to back up the backup.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the replies.

Although some may cringe here, I decided to start with a 1-year account at Hostgator. The price is low, they use cPanel (iPage uses Vdeck), and as my site grows I can migrate to VPS. I do see in phpAdmin where there is the ability to do SQL dumps so I'll be testing that out once I get my arms around connecting to a MySQL db using php.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wonder if he meant WZ and I.

Nah, we won't cringe...we'll throw things, boo, catcall, scream blue murder, and yell.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Junior Member Host4Geeks - Sheldon's Avatar
    Member #
    The problem with iPage or most of the othe EIG owned webhosts are that they use an in house developed control panel called vDeck. The backups generated by vDeck are not supported by cPanel. So, in case you move to a non-EIG based webhost in the future, it is most likely that the new host will be using cPanel, at that point of time you would have to manually move everything. Where as with cPanel it is as simple as generating a full cPanel backup and asking your new webhost to restore it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    [QUOTE=Host4Geeks - Sheldon;252251]The problem with iPage or most of the othe EIG owned webhosts are that they use an in house developed control panel called vDeck. The backups generated by vDeck are not supported by cPanel... /QUOTE]
    How can I tell whether my host is using vDeck instead of cPanel? It looks to me as if it is cPanel, but my host is owned by EIG, so I'd like to know how to tell.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    From what I've heard, they only deploy vDeck on host they acquire that don't already have cPanel on... If they acquire a host using cPanel, doubtful they will burn a good thing that is working... But suspect if they add servers to the mix they will have vDeck in place.

I generally don't comment on hosting providers that I have no first hand knowledge of, and I'm hesitant to repeat comments made by others about a host, I'll just say, HG wouldn't be my first choice based on what others here have shared ( not what you see on hosting review sites ).

but if it works for you, great.

i went through about a dozen hosting providers over the years before I setup my own servers. Most of my clients ask to move onto my servers, including some that were on HG. Its never a requirement unless the client wants me to mange that for them, I just find them all somewhat limiting for the log file analysis I do.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm not with HOstGator - but my host is owned by EIG as far as I know. I've been with them for more than a dozen years now and have never had a serious problem, not any problem they couldn't fix with a phone call.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads