Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Sub domain to dev site on same server

Hi,

I have my main site, example.com. And I have a client who has an existing site, but I am making a new site for and switching hosting to me.

I've purchased the hosting for it, it's on the same server as my site is hosted. While its in development I want to create a subdomain on my site, client.example.com, which points to dev site.

I've been looking into it and it seems I might need to use CNAME, but i'm a little lost.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That's where you make a cName entry on your registrars DNS settings.

Whomever the registrar of the domain name is, you will need to login to the account for that domain. Most offer "DNS updates" from their control panel, if you can, enter a cName record and make sure the name servers are pointed at that hosting providers name servers ...

If you don't have access to DNS records, you'll need to request the change from the support people that handle that domain

Member #
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have access to DNS settings for my example.com domain.

The nameservers are set to right place, because both sites are hosted with the same company. I've added a cName record for client.example.com and set it to the address of client.com, which is what the hosting package is set up too. When i go to client.example.com in my browser i get the 'Default website page'.

What am I missing?

Edit: I've edited my local host file to go to the new server ip when i go to client.com and that is working properly if that's any help.
    Last edited by Cobb; Aug 12th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What you're probably missing is:

on the hosting control panel, there should be a place to add "sub domains".... This is where you will need setup what "folder" goes to what site.

when I setup subdomains I generally create a folder on the root of the site called "subs" or sub_domains, then I create a folder inside that one and name it whatever the subdomain name is "full name"... ( sometimes I have multiple subs assigned to a site ), so for a sanity check... I just name then whatever the subdomain is... So at a glance, I know what's what...

'Then I go into control panels, set each subdomain to point to the relevant folder.

sometimes it will take a day of so for the DNS Pointers to resolve quickly... But sometimes ( depending on your host and how often the update zone files ), I have one account that changes will show up in about 15 minutes... And one account it almost 24 hours before I see the change... It all depends on DNS caching on several levels...

FYI... You should never have to make a local hosts file change for any of this... Let it resolve on its own... If your hosting provider ever changes their IP addresses ( it happens ), a hosts file entry you forgot that you made will drive you nuts trying to figure it out ( been there, done that )

Member #
    There is a sub domain area in the hosting control panel.

So i've created a subdomain on of it client.example.com and it points to a folder 'sub_domains/client'.

But this folder is empty, and is located on the hosting for example.com. And i need to point to the new hosting. Will this just point to an empty folder and not the website?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The "empty folder" will be where you want the subdomain files to be...

Member #
    But the subdomain files are hosted on a seperate hosting package.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Then your DNS pointers at your registrar, should point to that hosting package, and on THAT hosting package, you will need to make the appropriate changes to their name servers and hosting settings.

not ALL hosting providers allow for multiple domains on the same package ( mostly their value packages ), but some do. If the hosting provider and package that you are trying to setup the "dev site" on, doesn't allow for "mutiple domains", then what you're trying to do, won't work.

actually, if I setup a development site for a client and don't want to put it on his site ( for costing / bandwidth / IP control ), I set it up on one of my servers, under one of my own domain names.... When I code the site, never use a hardcode name, so when the site is done, everyone has approved everything, I can just copy the files over to the production server.

Member #
    Ended up getting new hosting which allows me to use domain aliases and it's all working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Remove Ads