Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Don't use Vista Print for Domain & Hosting

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

Don't use Vista Print for Domain & Hosting

I have a client that was previously using Vista Print web hosting solutions before I came aboard and all I can say is what a mess, that I have spent most of my day trying to untangle.

No FTP
    I designed a website for my client and when I go to upload the site to his server, come to find out there is no FTP or file manager for that matter that would allow me to upload his site's files.

It's not your Domain
    You don't actually have ownership of the Domain and so when you go to transfer the domain you have to pay $19.99 to actually buy the domain and have the ability to transfer the site to your new host.

Expensive
    My client was paying $38.00 a month which came out to almost $500 for 1 year to have his site on the internet. I set him up with Hostmonster for $187.00 for 3 years, which I have used for almost 8 years and would highly recommend to anyone.

I could go on but I will stop right here.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, #2 is never true. It's a complete scam. If you get a "free domain" with hosting, it's still your intellectual property, and at $38 a month, they bloody well should surrender it. They have to release it if you give them a hard enough time.

The problem is that for $20, it's not worth the time and hassle to fight with the idiots.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, they saw them coming... They as well as the hundreds of other companies that offer "a professional looking website" for a low monthly fee...

their target market is small businesses that are looking for low month to month cost to save a few bucks... Its only after they have spent tons of money for no actual return, do they turn to someone that can give them straight answers...

I picked up a client several years ago, finally got fed up with the company he was dealing with, they sent him a "consulting bill" for $75 because he called them more than 4 times in a month... His argument to them was... "We'll if you'd have done what I asked on the first call, I wouldn't have to call you 3 more times to get it right"....

They tried to charge him $150 to transfer the domain name away from them... Had they asked a reasonable fee its one thing... Cost him $100 for his lawyer to draft a letter, but he got his domain transfer from them, if they would agree that no further legal action would be pursued.

i have no personal knowledge about this one... But I see the scammers advertising daily... TV, radio, magazines ... And since in the US its estimated there are nearly 3000 new companies started every day, they have an endless target market.

my son started his trucking business 2 years ago, still gets stupid offers weekly.
    Last edited by Webzarus; Aug 12th, 2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: iPhone fat fingering and auto correct

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is what's become scary about the web and to a larger extent humanity...companies and people can set up screwjob offers just like these and get away with it, at least partly due to the Kool-Aid belief that they believe what they're doing is completely legitimate. You ask them what they offer you for service, and you get an answer along the lines of "we offer you an easy-to-use CMS and a beautiful customer-facing website with advanced server technologies that is scalable and robust for just $38 per month". The drone on the other end is just tuned out of reality enough to believe (s)he said something of substance and gave you an answer despite not having said a damn thing. And if you point that out, you get an answer along the lines of "well, we have X number of customers who are perfectly satisfied with our service." Of course, logic and sound reasoning do absolutely zero good whatsoever...these are the drones! They have been trained only to understand certain answers! You want thought? "I understand, BUUUUUUUUUUUT..." Well, if you understood, you wouldn't need the "BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT", would you, brainiac?

This is why I hate dealing with just about any company that I'm not already intimately familiar with from a customer point of view. There are a select few companies that have a clue and know how to treat people properly, and the vast majority suffer from cranial rectal syndrome.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    The thing is with Vistaprint they suck you in with "free" Business Cards which are really crap, but when you add the words free to something, somehow it becomes acceptable and then hell why you are there might as well buy a website package since you now need a website to go along with your crappy business cards that you got for free.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, I've seen their ads on Strike Spots, among other things.

I don't even have a problem with the upsell...they give away something, they should be able to try and make the money back on the loss leader. That's no problem. The problem that I have is that every time a company does that with online services, the paid service ends up being such a colossal ripoff as a result of the overcompensation for the loss leader on the free product. Any "free" host with a paid upgrade is a good example of this.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I just saw a prospect's Vista print website a week ago. Pretty ugly. Not sure if it was even a template or if it was made from scratch. Uses tables for menu structuring. Adds a lot of queer coding.

I just wanted to ask the prospect... "how good a website do you think a business card maker can make?" Only $15/mo though.

I also have a client with a website made by the local yellow page company. $100/mo. Addon service for those putting ads in the phonebook. Not great looking, but at least he doesn't need to do any work himself (just request work).

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Domain and hosting for over $20? What corner of the internet are you guys living in?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, I have a dedicated server that costs me $160 a month, and that's only one of the accounts that belong to myself and my clients. That also doesn't include domains. I'm not sure of the exact total, but between myself and my clients and referrals, I think the monthly amount Sectorlink rakes in is in the high 3 to low 4 digits.

There's nothing wrong with spending money on something you get full value from (and I do)...but yeah, for most people I would say that a dedicated server isn't normal.

Remove Ads