Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Email Set up? How do you usually set them up?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

Email Set up? How do you usually set them up?

How do you set up your clients domain address email or what is the easiest way to do so?

Through Hostmonster they give you access to unlimited email accounts utilizing yourname@domainname.com but it seems very complicated to check your email almost as if they expect you to use other web browsers like Outlook or other services like google. In the past I have always integrated them with Google Business account which was free (it is no longer a free service) so I don't know what to do now... How do you usually go about doing this??

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I just set it up for them and either get remote access to their computer to configure it in Outlook or whatever email client they have or give them the settings to plug into their phone or tablet or however they want to check their email.

It's not really that complicated, dude. Outlook makes it ridiculously easy as long as you don't have a non-standard setup (e.g. SMTP on port 2525).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I have never used Outlook. I tried to connect a test email to it today with no luck and then I tried manually connecting it again no luck. So that is why I asked.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not sure about your host, most I've dealt with actuall have FAQ's in their support section to give you instructions on how to setup outlook and mobile devices.

each protocol (pop, smtp, Imap ) use different ports and if the mail server uses SSL ( you should be ), those are different. If you don't have them, and authentication on both sending and receiving ....

I know my main hosting provider now offers "scritps" that you can run to setup pretty much all mail clients and mobile devices.

the last few clients I've taken on that wanted their email done, I was able to send them the scripts and they were able to run them and setup their mail, so they do work to make it easy for non-tech savy people.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    BTW.. The "auto configure" function in outlook 2007 and above is mainly intended for enterprise mail exchange services that can broadcast their "auto discovery" settings across their network.

i haven't seen them work for "domain based" email systems...becauee the "auto discover" function relies on DNS settings that most people won't setup.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Most email configurations in Outlook are similar.

POP3 server (or IMAP): mail.domain.com. May also be pop3.domain.com, pop.domain.com or imap.domain.com. Usually it's mail.domain.com, though.
    SMTP server (or again, IMAP): mail.domain.com. May also be smtp.domain.com or imap.domain.com. Again, usually it's mail.domain.com.

Username: the email address
    Password: whatever password you set up

You may have other things you want to configure as advanced settings, but those four will get you through most things.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That's true in a lot of cases, but many hosting providers that offer email, don't offer true MX record mail resolution as an authoritative source.

meainging, you have to setup your mail using a different domain name than your websites domain name...

thats why the FAQ's would be handy.

and each hosting provider does mail differently ( mainly for security, but sometimes just because the company they might sub their mail through doesn't know any better )....

BTW... Just thought about it... If you just setup the domain name, DNS records for the mail may not have been populated out properly... Shouldn't be an issue if this domain has been setup for a while, again, no knowledge of this particular host, but I've seen mail not resolve properly for days when a domain resolves properly in a couple hours.

a tracert to the mail server should tell you if that's an issue

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    https://my.hostmonster.com/cgi/help/26 <-- there's the FAQ. Like I suspected, it's a pretty standard setup. Most hosts don't deviate from the norm, as it would confuse more of their customers and mean more work for them.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Thanks guys for taking your time and posting your feedback on this. I was basically asking how do you usually go about setting up a clients email account as in do you usually link it to Outlook and call it good. I was using google business and it worked great until they started charging lol. But with everything you guys said I will try and get Outlook linked to the test email, though I think the DNS is new since we transferred over from vistraprint to Hostmonster on monday.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Game, that link that you found and shared with me did the trick! All I am going to do is send this link to the client and tell him to set it up himself following the video instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads