Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "A Small Orange" - anyone have opinions on it?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

"A Small Orange" - anyone have opinions on it?

Hi,

I'm using Bluehost at the moment, but I'm shopping around for things that might be better. Bluehost has moments where it slows down. In my analytics reports, about once a week, average load times will be 12 seconds or so (it's a spike). However, no real complaints otherwise, because it's extraordinarily slow or anything.

I'm asking about A Small Orange, because I saw this comparison of 7 hosts. A Small Orange is shared hosting, but it performed well and had a very low variance in load time. Also, I went to their website and I was thoroughly impressed. They seem to have limits as well, which is important, because although we might think unlimited storage or bandwidth or domain hosting is good, it means that some dude out there is hosting 500 websites for $5 month and bringing everyone else on that server to a crawl.

So, any ideas? Again I'm okay with Bluehost, but would love to find someone a bit better.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yes and no...it means that some dude hosting 500 websites for $5/month will bring the server to a crawl and then he probably gets yelled at or have his sites shut down for the vague and nebulous "excessive CPU usage". Mind you, you've hit on one of the reasons I went dedicated in 2003 and you couldn't pay me to go back to shared. I know exactly what's going on with my server and I know that the only a-hole who's going to crash it for coding something incorrectly is me, and I'm not that much of an a-hole to myself.

Having seen WP choke on HostGator first hand, I'd agree with at least some of what the guy found. HG will absolutely throw up on a WP site, and it won't even take much. I've seen three WP sites on an HG VPS knock it right offline, and this was after upgrading the VPS.

I don't have any thoughts on any of the other hosts, including A Small Orange, because I have no experience with any of the others. Those aren't particularly strong response times overall for any of them, though (although some of that may well be WP itself). The goal should be to get it below 200 ms if you can. I've been playing with some stuff in ASP.net and I think I've figured out how to do that, although it's tricky.

I asked a question of the guy, because I think he's done some good research work overall...how Sectorlink's cloud hosting would stack up.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    The reason your site may be running slow is because Hostgator and Bluehost throttle their servers. They both belong to EIG now and have started the tumble downhill especially since they've both been changed to the EIG datacenter recently.

We pulled all client sites off both of them when we saw they were throttling their servers and put them with a much smaller host that have the faster servers we've ever been on and for less money. Things are much better now and our clients are much happier.

And remember, there is no such thing as unlimited.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Sep 15th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to keep my eyes open.

The more I learn about Bluehost, the more I just sigh with disappointment. At least they have money back, unlike Fatcow.

And it's weird how one company can own multiple webhosts. In fact, justhost.com is an exact clone of bluehost.com. W - T - H.

As for dedicated and VPS, I'll probably consider it in the future.

In the meantime, I'm going to have A Small Orange and SectorLink in mind.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I forgot about the whole EIG thing, which is silly of me because i've undergone quite a bit of unnecessary grief as a result of it. Some of it is, as bleau said, as a result of server throttling. Some of it is the consolidation of services which made a bunch of small to mid-sized companies that were mediocre to OK into a big pile of steaming dog turd (ask them a question that requires thought and see the answers you get from the live chat some time).

Here's what I'd suggest you do, if you can...take a site of little consequence and throw it on a host you're interested in for a month. If it works, most the rest over. If not, at least you didn't lose much.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I forgot about the whole EIG thing, which is silly of me because i've undergone quite a bit of unnecessary grief as a result of it. Some of it is, as bleau said, as a result of server throttling. Some of it is the consolidation of services which made a bunch of small to mid-sized companies that were mediocre to OK into a big pile of steaming dog turd (ask them a question that requires thought and see the answers you get from the live chat some time).

Here's what I'd suggest you do, if you can...take a site of little consequence and throw it on a host you're interested in for a month. If it works, most the rest over. If not, at least you didn't lose much.
    The Game is on his game and heed his words of advice. I also suggest that you get the list of all EIG host and avoid them like a Tomahawk missile headed your way. I can sure back him up on the grief that some of the EIG host have inflicted on us.

There are many good host out there and some of the smaller ones will give you way above any service that a larger named host would.

We've dumped just about all the larger host for our clients and use 3 of the smaller ones and they're doing us an outstanding job.

Good luck on your search.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    There are many good host out there and some of the smaller ones will give you way above any service that a larger named host would.
    I currently have hostgator and would be interested in your recommendations...please share

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dignitas. If your site relies on HostGator, you're committing website suicide anyway, so you might as well die with a little bit of dignity.

My serious answer is, as it always is when someone asks a hosting question, Sectorlink. My reason, as it always is when someone asks a hosting question, is because they're the only hosting company I've ever run into that can understand and answer my questions. And if there's one thing I don't do, it's ask normal questions.

And on another serious note, I am an advocate of the right to die, as it's a subset of right to choice. If someone wants to end his/her suffering like this, then that person should have every right to do so. So yeah, I just went political on everyone.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I just want to add that A Small Orange is actually owned by EIG as of earlier this year. Read this somewhere. However, just because they own it, does not mean they dictate how it's run and that it'll be going downhill like it's other acquisitions (iPage, Bluehost, Justhost, HostGator, Dreamhost...). So there may still be hope for A Small Orange.

With that said, a good host and knowledgable staff is important too. The support I get at Bluehost is okay for clients, but it seems more and more like the support staff are just a group of folks in a developing country with website knowledge and access to Google, and no special training with servers. I started to realize this when I logged into a justhost account and saw that they had the same layout, support system, and ticket system as Bluehost and they did a lot of outbound linking to articles as part of their service.

The hosts who have the best support usually are more the managed hosting type of services, and definitely not budget hosts. Another idea would also be to use hosting that specializes in your particular system. Synthesis, for example, is Wordpress-catered hosting. OLM, another host I know, specializes and is very knowledgable with MIVA ecommerce.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx View Post
    I currently have hostgator and would be interested in your recommendations...please share
    I very seldom slam a host but I'm just like the Game..beware of anything connected to EIG. We've had client sites with most all of their host and have had to move them due to inferior performance and support.

We do NO business with Godaddy, 1 and 1 and EIG Host. If a new client is with either one of them and won't let us change them then we wish them well and send them on their way to find another host. We stopped using them before we had to start taking pain and nerve pills just to be able to put up with their stuff.

We've been using a small host with 90% of all our small business and personal clients now for about 3 years and have never had any problems with them. They have the fastest servers and some of the best support we've ever used in shared hosting.

They started out as Plexie Host and changed their name to Hostmantis. You can go to their Community and get a 60% off coupon and we're no way an affiliate with them. They're not overloading their servers and have given us excellent performance and support since we've been with them.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads