Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Web Hosting Help

So i am taking a basic web design class. I know very little coding, its all dreamweaver so most of it is coded for me. I do understand a little and plan to keep learning it, but as of now I have very limited coding experience.

I plan to design a site for my graphic design portfolio, and i have also been asked by 2 friends to design them a basic site for them. I design on a mac and i noticed go daddy and hostgator both do not have cpanel for mac. I have access to a old windows computer i could use if it doesnt require alot of power to operate cpanel. What exactly does cpanel do?

Once i find a host i am curious what it means by having unlimited domains? Can i add my friends domains to my hosting and charge them a managing fee to pay for the hosting? What types of things would it consits of if i decided to manage a site? I figure if its just for friends it could be an experience and i may be able to include that in with services so i am very interested in how this exactly works? Or am i way over my head? I am very computer savvy and since i plan to learn all of this for myself why not help friends as well?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I design on a mac and i noticed go daddy and hostgator both do not have cpanel for mac. I have access to a old windows computer i could use if it doesnt require alot of power to operate cpanel. What exactly does cpanel do?
    It's a portion of your hosting package that runs on a web browser and allows you to administer the various aspects of your site (set up domains, databases, emails, etc.) It's operating system agnostic as a result, so you should be able to use it on a Mac.
    Can i add my friends domains to my hosting and charge them a managing fee to pay for the hosting?
    You could if it's part of your host's ToS (Terms of service). Some "unlimited domains" hosting don't allow for reselling, some do.
    What types of things would it consits of if i decided to manage a site?
    Depends on what you want to make it consist of. It could consist of you building a site and letting them add the content using something like Joomla or Drupal. It could consist of you maintaining content yourself. It could consist of you promoting it. It could consist of about a million things. There's no one answer to this question.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Really? And why would a woman from India need a hosting account in the UK?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads